I walk towards them and take a seat on the other couch.

"Are you all okay?"

"Yes... we're okay, chief." Karen answers. I nod and turn my attention to Mike, whose gaze is frozen onto the floor.

Poor kid.

"Okay, look..." I clear my throat, fixating my gaze back on the blonde lady. "Do you think that you could make it to court in a couple days? Of course, I completely understand if you need some time to process this. A lot is going to change and it makes a lot of sense to feel uneasy. Just... if you feel like you need to attend, the doors are open."

I smile sympathetically at her and she returns it before I look at the ravenette younger than Mike.

"Hey, kid... how you holding up?"

But he just shrugs and looks down.

Jesus.

I can't imagine what it was like for him either. There aren't any marks on his body so I can assume that he probably had to witness this all, or parts of it.

I look at my lap and sigh.

"Is there anything I can do for you all?" I offer.

Then Mike meets my eyes, opening his mouth to speak, but he doesn't say anything.

"If you would all like... you could come to Joyce and I's home for dinner? We'd love to have you." I suggest, shifting glances between the three.

Michael Wheeler

When Hopper suggests that we eat dinner at his house, my eyes widen and I shake my head. If I go, that means I have to see Will.

He can't see me in this state.

"No! I mean— I'd just rather stay home for a little."

I'm aware that encountering again will be inevitable, but I need to avoid it as much as possible until I feel better. I don't want Will to see me when I'm weak. He's seen me like this before and it didn't feel good. He shouldn't have to be there for me and I know that all he's going to do is continuously try to comfort me. He has enough on his plate alone.

"That's fine." Hop speaks, and I exhale softly. "Take as much rest as you need." He says and I nod.

6:54pm

My teeth seethe in pain as I slowly pull up my sleeves, parting my lips when I look in the mirror and countless lines and marks are displayed, practically engraved into my arms.

I blink in surprise when my little cousin, Richie appears in the reflection of the mirror, standing between the doorframe.

"Hey, Rich." I lower my gaze to the sink.

"Mike... I'm sorry I didn't do anything."

My gaze ascends back to the mirror and I make eye contact with him as I pull my sleeves back down.

"It's not your fault. There was nothing you could do."

No, I- I know. It's just... I should've tried something, you know?"

I sigh.

"Richie. It's alright, okay?" I smile assuringly. "What he did has nothing to do with you and you're not at fault. You hear me?" I lift my brows slightly, awaiting a response. He just slowly nods. I turn around and exhale before holding my arms out to him. I'm not really a hugger but he needs that love right now. Who else will he get it from?

"It's alright, yeah?"

"Yeah." He repeats and I hold him in my embrace a little longer before releasing the hug. Richie rewards me with a contagious grin before leaving the bathroom.

I let out a sigh, and when I think I'm finally alone, I hear the front door of the house open.

"Mom! Mike!"

I turn off the light and leave the bathroom before walking towards the bannister of the stairs with my hands in my pockets, being met with a worried Nancy standing at the bottom of the staircase. She rushes up to me and pulls me in her arms, but I remain emotionless. I couldn't cry even if I want to.

"Mike, are you okay?? Where's mom?!"

"I'm fine. Mom's resting in bed."

"You're not fine. Dad literally beat you, Mike." She sighs, releasing the hug.

"Yeah, I know, Nancy. I was there, remember?" I remind her with a slow blink, forcing a wry chuckle.

She runs her fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there." Nancy hugs me again, and I interlock my fingers together behind her back.

"I love you." She says, and I look at the ground with hesitation.

"I... I love you, too."

"Go get some rest, okay? I'm gonna go check on mom and then run Holly a bath since she has to go to bed soon."

"Okay."

I nod and smile softly before heading back to my room and letting myself fall on my bed with a sigh. When Mickey comes to sight, I click my tongue against the back of my teeth to catch his attention, and he elegantly jumps onto my lap when he spots me.

I then lie down on my bed and stare at the ceiling in thought, affectionately stroking my fingers through Mickey's black fur.

What now?

Like, genuinely... what now? Dad will probably lose his job and everything will go to shit. Mom will have to find a new job because, even though we're rich, we have to maintain that.

I can't imagine how it will be at school.

Everyone will be whispering about me. Michael Wheeler, son of the ex-mayor of Hawkins who got fired and put in jail for abusing him and his mother.

And even though it sucks, I'd rather it be that way rather than people diving deeper into the situation.

What if they find out about me?

I don't know what I'd do in that situation.

Just thinking this way causes for a lump to form in my throat, and I swallow in attempt to gulp it down. But it doesn't.

I close my eyes.

I know I won't be able to get any sleep, but if I focus on trying to fall asleep, maybe it'll throw away all the other thoughts.

To Be Continued...

a.n. Next chapter hopefully on thursdayyyy (I have to study for three tests this week 😭)

<3