“I wouldn’t eat with that after if I were you,” I warned, my nose scrunching with disgust.

Dannon chuckled, causing the spoon to fall again.  He placed it back in its “rightful” place, beginning the process all over again.  “I wasn’t planning on it, but thank you for the precautions.”

I raised an eyebrow.  “Technically, since I only gave you one, it would be ‘precaution,’” I pointed out. 

Dannon allowed the spoon to clatter to the table as he reached toward his tray, dipping his finger into his potato.  I watched, unable to comprehend what he was doing as he reached up and dabbed his finger onto the tip of my nose.  He laughed, swiping his finger across my cheek, streaking the rest as I shrieked and tried to back away.

Swatting Dannon’s hand away, I brought my pointer finger from my free hand into my pudding and poked him on the forehead.  And his cheek.  And his arm.  Basically, I poked him wherever I could while he was dodging me.

“Bri, and Dannon,” Shelley drawled, “I would refrain from starting a food fight if I were you.”

We both instantly stopped what we were doing and turned to Shelley.  She was grinning, the amusement bright in her eyes.

“I thought it was cute!” Meghan cooed, resting her chin on her hand.  “Dannon’s usually so mellow at lunch.  Quiet.”

So I brought the hyper side out in him.  Was that what he meant when he said I was more fun to hang out with?  I glanced at Dannon from the corner of my eye curiously.  Dannon grinned, poking me with his still potato-covered finger.

“Touch me with your food again,” I seethed, “and I will drag you to my house and drown you in my shower!”

The whole table burst out laughing.  I realized then how awkward that must have sounded.  Though, if we were at my house, I seriously would have pushed him into my shower.  In a nice way of course. . . . Wait.  Was that even possible?  Of course!  Smile while you’re doing it. 

“I would appreciate it if you didn’t murder our quarterback,” Garner said with a grin.  “You see, because he was missing on Wednesday, we lost.  So, if he’s gone tomorrow, we’ll lose again.  Translation?  Goodbye championships.”

Yes, please translate.  For I do not speak English.

“I really doubt you lost that bad,” Dannon said, shaking his head.  Part of me thought he felt bad for missing the game and staying at my house.  But when I looked at him I saw that he wasn’t upset at all.

“We practically handed them the game!” Garner exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air.  “I think we got. . . .”

I immediately stopped paying attention.  I mean, what was so fun about talking about football?  As I looked around, I couldn’t help but note that none of the girls looked interested either.  I caught Kyla’s eye and smiled.  She smiled back, giving me a small wave.  I laughed softly as she mouthed, “Isn’t this so fun?”  Why was she mouthing when we had the freedom to talk?  I mean, wasn’t her enjoyment of this lunch just as important as men in tights running across a field?  Well, I thought so.

I looked away, wiping the potato Dannon had so rudely dabbed all over me.  Well, not all over.  I had done that job.  Dannon chuckled from beside me, but I didn’t look up.  Nope, I refused to make eye contact with him.  That would only make me laugh.  And I refused to give him that satisfaction!  Nope, I would remain calm.  Yeah.  I would.

Dannon seemed to sense what I was attempting, for he bent down and whispered into my ear, “Rubba dub dub, I’m drownin’ in your tub.”

I covered my mouth with my hand, closing my eyes as I laughed.  It wasn’t the words themselves that made me laugh—well, not only that.  It was his tone!  He had a way of making pretty much everything that came out of his mouth hilarious.