Chp.2 A Dark Shadow

I suddenly came back to the present by lighting, barely seconds later it was followed by a loud clap of thunder. I shivered all the way down my spine, I could feel nothing, and my whole body felt numb, even though I was under the eaves of a house, I was still drenched right to the skin with rain.

 I suddenly saw a dark shape standing by the lamp. I leaned out to see who could possibly be out at this time of night, and in this weather. The light from the lamp blinded my eyes making it impossible to see anything. 

 Another flash of lightning appeared, it seemed closer than the last for the thunder that followed came faster and louder. I looked hard for the dark figure but it had disappeared. I, once again, felt like the only person in the whole world.

Suddenly I heard a sound, 'pit, pat, pit, splash' coming towards me. I looked up to see feet running, right at me. I pushed my crunched-up body against the wall, frozen with terror. I looked down as the figure stopped very near me, I lifted my head ever so slightly to look at what was happening.

 The figure was smaller than I expected, and they seemed to be looking for something... or someone. He suddenly looked at me, crunched up in a ball. I couldn't see any traits or what they looked like, I could just tell that it was a male. He came closer to me, I tried to go further into the corner but I was already pressed, hard against the wall. He suddenly draped something over me, it felt warm, like a hug from someone dear to you.

 Something else, hard, fell next to me then I heard a voice say, "Don't die." the voice was soft, and I realized that it came from, not a man, but a boy. I heard the sound of him running back the way he'd come. I examined the warm weight he'd kindly dumped on me. It was a blanket, maybe a was going to make it through the night after all!

 I called "Thank you, whoever you are." but I wasn't sure that he'd heard me for as soon as the words came out of my mouth, they were blown away by the wind and the rain.

I felt around for the other thing he'd dropped next to me. My hand brushed past something hard, but warm. I picked it up. It was about the size of my whole hand. I suddenly smelt freshly cooked bread. I smiled, I brought it up to my mouth, then licked it, just to be sure that it was real. Then I took a bite.

 The warm feeling rushed around my mouth and then, as I swallowed it, round the whole of my body warming me. I wrapped the warm blanket even more tightly around my body. I was feeling better already!