Were they still friends? She couldn't help but wonder. Minho killed Gally, and everyone knew how close Emma and Gally were. What if the others blamed her?

Emma knew Gally had entered the Maze to stop them. Or at least stop her. That resulted in him getting stung and then killing Chuck.

What if they blamed her? Hated her? What happened then? Emma didn't have anyone else.

It didn't help that they were in an entirely unfamiliar situation.

Minho, as if sensing her gaze, lifted his head. His eyes met hers from across the table. He was leaning against the table in the center of the room. Meeting her eyes, he sat up straighter.

Emma blinked, face unmoving. She couldn't read Minho easily. Not like some of the others. Frypan had always been an open book, as was Jack. She knew Newt like the back of her hand, but not Minho. They were friends, but because he was a Runner and spent most of his time outside the Glade, they didn't spend as much time together.

But now things were different. Minho put a spear through Gally's chest, and Emma had watched. Gally killed Chuck, and then Minho killed him, and all she can think about was how it must be her fault.

Why hadn't she tried harder to get Gally to join them? Maybe he wouldn't have been stung. They could have saved him and Chuck.

Why didn't she stay in the Glade? If she had stayed with Gally, perhaps he wouldn't have followed them into the Maze. Then he and Chuck would still be alive.

Thomas shifted on the sack of flour he was using as a makeshift bed. Both Minho and Emma looked at him, breaking off whatever was happening between them. Teresa's eyes fluttered at the sound, but she quickly closed them again.

They had been in the room for hours. Emma wasn't sure what to think at this point. These people, whoever they were, weren't what she was expecting. Truthfully, Emma wasn't expecting a lot, but she knew she wasn't expecting this.

Suddenly, the door opened up. The sound was loud enough to wake everyone who was sleeping. Instantly, the group stood up to see who had entered. Standing in the doorway was a man in a light grey turtle neck. Half his face was hidden in the shadows. Emma didn't recognize the man. He wasn't the same one that brought them to the room.

"How are you kids doing?" None of them answered. All they did was stare at the unknown man. "Sorry about the wait. We had a swarm."

Emma had no idea what he was talking about. "Who are you?"

"I'm the reason you're still alive. It's also my intention to keep you that way." He turned around. "Follow me." They hesitated, not sure what to do. However, Thomas made the first move. He followed the man. After that, they all moved. Emma pursed her lips, rubbing her hands together nervously. She tried to focus on her surroundings, but that was hard.

Everything was changing.

The world around her was moving too fast. Emma was struggling to keep up.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place." They followed behind him as he spoke. "This place is a refuge from the monstrosities of the world outside." Emma inspected the area they were in. People were welding or working on ledges and stacking boxes on platforms. "You should think of it as a way station." They turned a corner, walking down a short, cold hallway. "Like a home between homes. Watch your heads." There was a low-hanging piece of metal. Emma's steps faltered momentarily.

"You're taking us home?" That was all they wanted.

Janson looked back at them, an unreadable expression on his face. "Sort of. Chances are, wherever you came from is gone." Emma felt her shoulders drop slightly, but she wasn't overly disappointed. Whatever home she had before had been erased from her memory. There was nothing to miss. "But we do have a place for you." They kept moving. "There's a shelter past the Scorch. It's a place where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?" Thomas looked around the group, gauging their reactions.