Chapter 6: Giving Back

Start from the beginning

            Luigi sighed in defeat. This was supposed to be a test run; however, he felt like he got thrown into real-life combat. Again. Not even the tricks and tips Mario gave him were enough; guess he really has a long way to go. Man... At least Luigi got some exercise; there's no better time for getting back in shape than now. Mario patted his back, consoling him. An attendant arrived with a towel; they also announced that the princess was needed elsewhere. Peach swiftly excused herself and headed back to the castle. He wondered what her thoughts were at the moment. She must be so stressed with everything happening around her. She has a whole trial to prepare for and is providing aid to the affected kingdoms; Luigi hoped he could do more, but at the moment, his prowess was lacking.

            Sighing, Luigi dried himself as best and quickly as possible, then followed the group back to the castle. The Training Course will have to wait.

.

.

.

            Over the past few days, Luigi has familiarized himself with the castle. Since they're staying here, he might as well ensure the others and himself he won't get lost. Plus, the castle's architecture was captivating. The white marble contained soft floral and nature-themed designs with ultra-realistic detailing; the style reminded him of the Greeks. The soft pastel colors were pleasing to the eye and soothing to the mind. It's not hard to see why Luigi was so adamant about exploring.

            Thanks to this habit, he vividly remembers the layout. And after the day he's had, a snack would be greatly appreciated. The man in green headed down a long hallway, then turned right. A large wooden door loomed before him; without a second thought, Luigi opened it and slipped inside. Pots and pans clattered around him; the castle cooks hustled down the line, ingredients in their hands. All manner of soups and sauces simmered on stoves, the bubbling accompanied the sound of chopping.

            Ahh, the sound of a busy kitchen. They were Luigi's favorite place; as a food enthusiast himself, he adored seeing the chefs work. How they turned the raw products before him into delicious works of art. And the best part? He could come here whenever he wanted to.

            Luigi grabbed a nearby plate and placed odd food bits on it. Some fruit here, a veggie there. Nab a few good portions of meat and sprinkle some sauce on them. The cooks did not mind; in fact, they encouraged him to get more. Luigi has become the unofficial royal food taster around here. His mother has always said he was an expert in the kitchen. So, in exchange for free snacks, all he had to do was assist in maintaining the food quality.

            Luigi's eyes set on a platter of brownies, eyes glimmering and mouth hanging slightly open. He has always been a sucker for chocolate. The man made a beeline for them, carefully walking through the working Toads. Luigi reached a gloved hand and was promptly slapped by a wooden spoon.

"YOW!"

            An elderly Toad woman glared daggers at him. Graying blue hair peeked out of her black mushroom cap, piercing blue eyes glared at him. Luigi rubbed his injured hand and mustered a nervous smile. "H-hello, Helvella," he whimpered.

Helvella narrowed her eyes. "The princess may allow you and your grubby hands free roam of the kitchen, but I will not allow you to touch my precious desserts!"