-----

The use of ash wood for fires had been banned in Hogwarts since before James even entered the castle, though it was only after James joined that the rules were reinstated.

Snape hadn't known about why the wood type was banned, and he found it annoying. He liked the smell that specific type of wood made when it was burnt, so one Potions lesson he snuck in some ash wood and burnt it under his cauldron.

The lesson was only about half done when James started reacting, relying on his arms to stand up, going pale and sweating. Slughorn didn't especially like James, but he still sent him to the Hospital Wing with Sirius and stopped the class, insisting on checking their fires. As James left the room he started sounding like he was struggling to breathe.

Snape had barely managed to get out of being expelled for burning ash wood, all because stupid James Potter was allergic to such a common type of wood.

He didn't regret burning the ash wood, in fact he now wished he had burnt more, maybe if he had then James would finally be dead. With James dead then Lily would love him again, right? Like he said previously, ash is a common type of wood right?

5 days after James had first been taken to the Hospital Wing after the ash wood Potions incident he was able to leave. He strutted around like nothing had happened, but more people seemed to be paying more attention to him. As though his ego needed more inflating.

Snape left a large piece of ash by where he knew the group of twats liked to sit for lunch, waiting just out of their site so he could watch Potter die.

"Woah, Prongs, what are you doing?" Sirius grabbed James' hand, pulling him away from the ash as James reached out to fling it aside.

"Relax, I only react to ash while it's burning. It's a creature thing, the whole Potter line has the allergy. So long as it's not burning I can touch it, but if it is burning then I can't be in the same room as it, and even being near people who have been in the room with it burning before they wash up can be dangerous." James gently shook Sirius' hand off, throwing the spindly branch off just far enough it wasn't in their way any more. "See?"

"He's not wrong, though, you've barely recovered." Remus conjured a chair for James to sit on, rather than letting him sit on the damp grass.

"Listening to you lot you would think I was at death's door." James rolled his eyes, though he sat down a little gingerly.

"Are you going to claim you weren't?" Remus' tone seemed to be daring James to do so, but he didn't.

"I swear I'm going to kill that Snape." Sirius spat, sitting on the grass next to James.

"You will not." James messed up Sirius' hair.

James would say that. He was such a prick. He had to go around telling everyone he had gotten injured 'saving' Severus from finally getting proof that Remus Lupin is a werewolf. Still nobody believed him, but it seemed now that the rest of the little group knew.

So much for breaking up the group of twats.

It was a shame James didn't die that day, but Severus would be expelled if he ever dared to burn ash wood in Hogwarts again.

-----

Snape gnashed his teeth as he watched Draco, his own godson, run out of the room with the Potter brat. This was just more proof that he should never have accepted godfather position, though he couldn't deny that it came with many, many perks to be godfather of a Malfoy. He didn't even bother to stop the Weasley brat or mudblood who knew far too much, just like Lily had.