19 1/2- Death of Robert Downey Senior (UPDATED: 2021)

2021 (20):

It was the day before Esme's 20th birthday and she was up late working on her film schedule and trying to accomodate all the projects she had going on when she heard quiet sobbing. She got up from her desk and headed down the stairs to see what was going on and she saw her father at the kitchen table and he had his head in one hand, trying to hide or stop the tears and the other hand holding his phone to his ear. She and Exton went with their dad to visit Papa Downey while he was dealing with Parkinson's  and it broke Esme's heart seeing her Papa like he was. She remembered when she first met Senior and how warm and welcoming he was towards her. He would watch her during the times her parents would be working and play with her and just spoil the living hell out of Esme but the best part was he would tell his stories as a filmmaker and how her dad worked on films when he was little, like she did. Hearing that he was going to die made it hard for here but seeing her dad break down now, means that her papa had died. When he hung up with whoever broke the news, they both got up and she hugged her dad tighter than she had ever hugged him in years as he rested his chin on her head and just let the tears flow. Despite all of the things her dad and grandfather had gone through, they were close and him dying rocked her dad's world. She didn't know how long she stood in the kitchen with her dad, just hugging him and letting him know silently that no matter what happened, she was there for him. He kissed the top of her head and they sat down again and would gently touch her cheek and look at her with love. They have always been close due to being through a lot when she was a child and working on Robert keeping all custody rights of Esme with him. It wasn't until Esme spoke, saying,

"Dad, is Senior...?" She didn't want to believe it but she knew that Senior's time had come.

"Yeah.. He's passed away. He did it quietly." He wiped the tears and she helped him a little, her heart breaking not only from her grandfather dying but how hard her dad was taking it.

"I still remember he took me to the Santa Monica Pier and tried to take me on a roller coaster." She smiled sadly as she remembers the fond memory.

"That time where he let you on a roller coaster and you passed out from the whiplash and your fear of heights at that time?"

"Yes, that!" She said, causing her dad to chuckle. "He used his famous name to get me on that one ride and they basically could have shut down that ride cause they violated like 8 policies and rules be letting me on at my age and size but it felt like home, doing something reckless and stupid at a young age. It's what really inspired me to do what he did, just make movies and not worry about anything. It also got me to get over my fear of heights and now i'm free falling hundreds of feet as the White Force and I'm on wires most of the time now because that fear of heights is gone. He has shown me so much during filming. I just wish he got to see me be the White Force more."

"I remember when I brought him onto set to surprise you and he just sat and watched you work and the way he was watching you made me proud of who and how you became Esme Downey, and built this character in the MCU all on your own. On one of the calls I had with him for the film we are making about him, he said that he was so proud of you taking charge and it was one too the things he will always remember. Watching you pour your heart and soul into a character like that and into a film that no one had any idea if it was gonna make it into the MCU, and the confidence you had into Melani Jayce, your own character you thought up on your own. It amazed him and reminded him of why he started in the first place, to continue that legacy." She smiled at him, remembering the fond memory.

~~~

(2017)

Esme was flying around on wires, performing flips and such as Keanu was doing the same when Anthony Russo called cut and the stunt riggers lowered her and Keanu down. When they unhooked her for a 20 minute break to freshen up, she saw her dad with her grandfather watching her work. She immediately runs to Senior and gives him huge hug.

"Papa, what in the world are you doing here?" She asked, pushing her white-blonde hair out of her face. She had it bleached for the film before the Russos explained that she would be able to wear a wig for the next avengers film to avoid damaging her hair from all of the bleaching.

"Coming to see the most beautiful superhero I have seen. How are you doing, EJ?"

"I'm doing great, I'm getting to work with Keanu Reeves again and my story is finally coming to life. It's all thanks to everyone and TeamDowney productions."

"Don't sell yourself short, Kid. You have always had talent and it shows. The way you convey the role of Agent Jayce is truly amazing. I've talked to the Russo Brothers and they say that you have true, undeniable talent for not only acting but for directing. You know exactly what you want and how it needs to look. You are going to make it big, kiddo."  Papa Downey says. She could feel the tears pool her eyes hearing the kind words of the man she has looked up to for directing and storytelling all her life. 

"Papa, I want you to help me direct my character and her arc for the next few movies. Maybe even get a second film and make it our project for Marvel. You are the reason why I even ant to direct and there is no better project than White Force." He smiled at that and said,

"Of course. I would love to work with you." The Russos then called that all actors get back onto the wires for the next take. "Run along, EJ. I'll be here." She hugs Senior and then her dad and said,

"Thank you, Dad." Robert kissed the top of her head and squeezed her.

"Anytime, Baby Girl. Go kick some ass." He lets her go and she runs back onto the set and she gets rehooked onto the wires and  started floating in the air and got to work.

~~~

"Dad, I have a crazy idea. Remember all that talk about making a movie with your dad one more time before his.." Esme didn't want to have to say it cause it felt too fresh.

"Yeah?" He said, quietly.

"Why don't we make that into a movie. I have all of the footage of him with the camera people and editors and us visiting him in NYC, all we need to do is stitch it together and make it into a movie. It can be like-like a goodbye letter to him. We don't have to do it right away but maybe it will help you move on."

"What about you? You were just as close to him as I was."

"Ummm, on our last trip he gave me this." She got up to get her bag and pulled out a binder. She sat back down at the table and continued, "This is his written version of the White Force 2 script, and ideas of what he would like to see for Melani Jayce. He did this for me while he was on bed rest and asked his assistants to help him get on paper for me to give to me before he died. This is how I can move on from him. But for you, you need something bigger because if you had died, I would want to do something like make a goodbye letter-type movie." Robert nodded and noticed the time and how late it was.

"Baby Girl, you should probably get some sleep." Esme saw the time and nodded. They both got up and He kissed her head again. "Thank you, Es, for coming to check up on me and sitting here as I cried like a big baby."

"You're my dad. Of course I'll check up on you, plus, Mom is probably exhausted so I'll take up the job to make sure you don't lose your head." Esme goes to walk away before saying, "Dad?"

"Yes, Esme?"

"it's okay to not be strong sometimes. Everybody needs help. Justin knows a great therapist in case you need to work this all out." 

"Thank you. I'll look into it another day. Night Baby Girl."

"Night, Dad." She gives one last smile before jogging up the stairs and turns her laptop off and climbs into bed, finally letting the tears spill for her grandfather, who is up in heaven as an Angel.