From Vettriana's perspective, her surroundings appeared shrouded in darkness

From Vettriana's perspective, her surroundings appeared shrouded in darkness. Her vision was consumed by an expanse of nothingness, akin to staring into the abyss of a deep water well. Startled, she suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of approaching footsteps emanating from her left side. Reacting instinctively, she turned her head to follow the source of the sound.

As she strained to hear, the rhythmic flapping of wings reached her ears, only to cease abruptly. In a single fluid motion, a swish and flick of some magical incantation caused the massive curtains before her to part. She blinked and squinted, her eyes adjusting to the sudden influx of blinding sunlight.

"Terrifying, isn't it?" Lylâk lingered in the room, his presence mirroring their last encounter-the crow perched on his shoulder, the elegant cane, and that disingenuous smile. Vettriana nodded, understanding his remark all too well. Her eyes throbbed with pain, and her head pounded with migraines brought on by the harsh and blinding light.

"It's our senses, Vettriana. This sensitivity to light, it's passed down through the generations, from the very founder of our family, who, like you, had an acute sensitivity to sunlight," Lylâk explained. Vettriana remained silent, struggling to absorb this newfound knowledge about her family.

Lylâk, her newly discovered grandfather, seemed to seek her response, urging her, "Speak, so I know you're not some oddity or something."

"How did you find me?" Vettriana whispered in a hushed tone, her voice laced with curiosity.

Lylâk appeared somewhat taken aback by her question, as he expected her to inquire about his intentions or reasons for taking her. "Of all the questions you could ask, you chose that one?" he remarked, but Vettriana remained silent, waiting for his answer.

He continued, "I located you through my personal raven, Ogwey. He can be dependable and trustworthy, but sometimes behaves rather recklessly." He attempted to inject a sense of menace into the last word, but Vettriana's response was a nonchalant look, unswayed by his efforts to intimidate her.

"Do you possess any knowledge of spells?" Lylâk's demeanor shifted abruptly, taking on a more menacing tone that sent a shiver down her spine.

Vettriana, feeling threatened, stammered, "No... What kind of spells are you talking about?"

His frustration grew, and he clenched his fists in anger. "You are telling me you don't know how to cast spells?!" he grumbled, clearly disheartened and considered abandoning her.

She shook her head, her reply signifying that no one had ever attempted to teach her such magical arts.

"Then you must prepare for tomorrow, Vettriana," he demanded. "Kauis!"

A man named Kaius entered the room, his demeanor elegant and respectful as he knelt before Lylâk, who looked down at him.

"Yes, Snr Malphas, Lylâk," Kaius acknowledged.