10

A/N: pretty please could you vote? it would make me happy and give me the motivation to write more for you! I HATE THIS CHAPTER WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING ITS SO BAD BC I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK

-K

When Charlie and I arrived at the hospital, we were quickly guided to where Bella was laying. They put her in the emergency room, a long room with a line of beds separated by pastel-patterned curtains. A nurse put a pressure cuff on her arm and a thermometer under her tongue. Since no one bothered pulling the curtain around to give her some privacy, she decided she wasn't obligated to wear the stupid-looking neck brace anymore and unfastened the velcro and chucked it under the creaky hospital bed, obviously not noticing that I had entered, Charlie was currently talking to a nurse about her condition and not noticing her remove it. There was another flurry of hospital personnel, another stretcher brought to the bed next to her. I recognized Tyler Crowley from when I picked Bella up from school one day beneath the bloodstained bandages wrapped tightly around his head. Tyler looked a lot worse than Bella did yet he was staring anxiously at her. God this is going to be awkward.

"Bella, I'm so sorry!" He spluttered apologetically.

"I'm fine, Tyler — you look awful, are you all right?" Nurses began unwinding his soiled bandages as they spoke, exposing a myriad of shallow slices all over his forehead and left cheek.

He ignored her. "I thought I was going to kill you! I was going too fast, and I hit the ice wrong..." He winced as one nurse started dabbing at his face.

"Don't worry about it; you missed me," Bella replied a small smile on her face which looked more like a grimace.

"How did you get out of the way so fast? You were there, and then you were gone..."

"Oh, my friend Jacob pulled me out of the way."

"Jacob?"

"He was with me but then got a call from his dad saying he had to do something but then when you accidentally lost control he pulled me out of the way before leaving."

I just stood there watching the whole thing happen before they wheeled Bella away to get her head X-rayed. Then when she came back into the room, she was joined by Edward. She was clearly not interested in him as when he was talking to her she just looked down at her lap and toyed with her hands.

Then a doctor walked around the corner. He was young, he was blonde and he was quite handsome but not my type. He was pale, though, and tired-looking, with circles under his eyes. From Charlie's description, this had to be Edward's father, Doctor Carlisle Cullen. I still don't know how I haven't met him before, I guess I haven't visited the hospital that often

"So, Miss Swan," Dr Cullen said in a calm and kind voice, "how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," She said, obviously not wanting to do this. He walked to the lightboard on the wall over her head and turned it on.

"Your X-rays look good," he said. "Does your head hurt? Edward said you hit it pretty hard."

"It's fine," She repeated with a sigh, throwing a quick scowl toward Edward. That's my girl, I thought proudly. The doctor's cool fingers prodded lightly along her skull and he noticed when she winced.

"Tender?" he asked.

"Not really."

I heard a chuckle and looked over to see Edward's patronizing smile towards Bella. My eyes narrowed at his creepiness.

"I'm sorry, Doctor, I know Edward is your son but I don't think he is making Bella feel comfortable in here," I said, glaring slightly towards him, in return, his topaz eyes widened slightly in shock then became annoyed as he left the room in a dramatic fashion.

"Well, your father is in the office signing papers, you can go home with him and your mother now. But come back if you feel dizzy or have trouble with your eyesight at all." He spoke, "Would you like some assistance at the office?"

"No, no!" She insisted, throwing her legs over the side of the bed and hopping down quickly. Too quickly- she staggered, and Dr Cullen caught her. He looked concerned.

"I'm fine," She assured him again. No need to tell him her balance problems had nothing to do with hitting her head. I love Bella but God she is clumsy!

"Take some paracetamol for the pain," he suggested as he steadied her.

"It doesn't hurt that bad," she insisted.

"It sounds like you were extremely lucky," Dr Cullensaid, smiling as he signed her chart with a flourish.

"Ok, thank you, Doctor." She thanked him, as did I before we went to find Charlie in the front of the hospital at the reception. However, we noticed once again Edward was being his normal stalker-like self and was waiting in the emergency room corridor. Weirdo.

"Bella!" We heard a worried Charlie call out before he rushed towards us. She put her hands up in surrender.

"There's nothing wrong with me," She assured him sullenly. She was still aggravated by Edward being, well, Edward and was not in the mood for chit-chat.

"What did the doctor say?"

"Dr Cullen saw me, and he said I was fine and I could go home." She sighed and her eyes widened slightly at a few people who were approaching, "Let's go," she urged.

I put one arm lightly around her waist and my other one placed itself into Charlie's hand, relief on his face that his daughter was ok. I led her to the glass doors of the exit. She waved somewhat sheepishly at her friends, hoping to convey that they didn't need to worry anymore.

It was a huge relief to get into the cruiser and away from the hospital, I had decided to sit in the back with Bella to give her some comfort but other than that we drove in silence.

When we got to the house, Charlie finally spoke. "Uh, you'll need to call Renée." He hung his head, guilty. Bella looked quite upset, "You told Renée!"

I noticed how she said Renée instead of mom; That's odd.

"I'm sorry, Bells, I had to!" he replied disheartened.

"It's fine, just next time, which hopefully there won't be, don't call her. Please, dad." He nodded at her and Bella went off to call Renée.

"Hey, don't worry babe. You did what was the right thing, Bella's probably just a bit confused right now. You are doing great." I spoke, giving him a light kiss on the cheek.

"Promise?" He asked.

"Promise."