24. Priorities

Mulai dari awal

I had a hot boyfriend, and now I was free to enjoy it to the fullest.

*****

On Friday morning, after I'd walked Jax to his class, I went to find Caleb. I hated the feeling I had as I searched for him. I was happy to get rid of the bet, of course, but having to do it in secret made me feel horrible. I promised myself I'd never do anything behind anyone's back ever again. I couldn't take it. I was not going to miss the nauseated feeling, the shaky hands, the inability to breathe...

"Hey, Caleb! Do you have a minute?" I asked cheerfully when I found my brother's friend close to his classroom.

"Sure," he said, giving me a curious look, then told his friends to go ahead.

I nudged my head toward the exit nearby, and he followed me outside. I made sure no one was around when I faced the guy.

"I give up," I said shortly, giving him the check. "I'm done."

"What? But you were going to win? I've seen you two together – the guy is..." he trailed off, his frown vanishing. "Ohhhhh... Ohhhhh! Dude!"

"Keep it down," I said, glancing around.

"You fell for him?" he whispered with a wide smirk. "Hot damn, Nicholas Gabriel is actually gay!"

"For the love of god... Bi-sex-ual," I spoke slowly. "And keep it down!"

"All right, all right," he said with a chuckle, glancing down at the check. "You made your mom pay for you?"

"Does it matter?" I asked with a groan. "Look. It's done. You win. I give up, and I don't want to hear a single word about this entire thing. Ever. Got it?"

"So you're actually in love with Jax?" Caleb asked, ignoring everything I'd just said.

"Dude! Promise me no one ever hears about this stupid bet! If Jax finds out..."

"Sure, sure, I'll keep my mouth shut," he said. "But you have seen all the movies, right? You, me, Jacob, Daniel, and Jessica are all in on this..."

"I know, I know... Just... One thing at a time, okay?" I said, taking a deep breath. "I'll... I'll find a way to tell him... One day..."

"Well, I won't say anything, and I'll make sure Jacob keeps his piehole shut as well," he promised. "But dude... Jax the Snake? I didn't know your balls were that big," he added, and laughed.

"Well, if you don't mind a few concussions every now and then..." I trailed off with a smirk.

"Good luck with that," he said.

"Thanks."

When we left our separate ways, I wanted to believe he would keep his mouth shut. If Jax heard about this stupid bet...

I sighed. I had to be the one to tell him about it. But not now. I couldn't even consider it at that moment. I just wanted to be happy that it was over.

Because I was. God damn, I was happy it was over.

I was feeling so good and relieved that I didn't even go to my class. Instead, I went up on the rooftop and leaned against the railing to watch the city below me. I took so many deep breaths I started feeling dizzy, but I couldn't stop. I'd never experienced such intense relief before. It kind of scared me.

"It's over..." I whispered just to hear how it sounded like, as ridiculous as it was.

It really was over, and now...