02 - Visit

Cracking. Bones that break. Bones breaking.....

Without looking back much, Rick Flag followed one of the guards down the corridor, through a doorway and over to a four-foot-long window. With a motion of his head, the guard gestured Flag to look down, into a room where a woman was leaning on a bed with her back against the wall. This one was just sitting there, not moving, and if it had been, it had been unrecognizable.

"So what.....," but the guard raised his hand for Flag to be still and stop moving, "What's the problem now?"

"Look closely at her," the guard instructed Flag but when he, after a few minutes, looked back at him, he knew Flag obviously hadn't noticed, "Her head. She knows we're there, standing up here watching her."

"How?", a valid question and the reason Flag looked down again, "We're behind her."

"The room gave it away to her..... and her constant shivering around," without another word of explanation the guard went on and beckoned Flag to come along, "Don't worry, you'll get the idea. Let's pay her a visit."

Without, from now on, taking her eyes off the young woman, Flag followed the guard and thought about what was meant by, the room had told her. There were no mirrors here. Not even glass, just that of the window front, and this was, behind her.

"Hey Blake," Jyn looked headlong at the door and rolled off the bed with a good-humored smile, "visitor for you."

"Nice to meet you, Jyn Blake," Jyn introduced herself and extended her hand to Flag, but he looked completely caught off guard to the guard as if he was just messing with him, "Oh, don't worry. I have no reason to kill you or him."

"You haven't?" chortled Flag, looking at the guard as if this, was one of the best jokes he's had in a long time, "If you eliminate us, you'll have a chance to escape."

"Doesn't do me any good, though, since I don't know the way out. All I know is that it was ten steps straight ahead, then seventeen to the right, then through a heavy metal door from which was then thirty-one back to the right, then down a staircase with fourteen steps, and finally, forty-seven straight ahead, where at nineteen there was a door, presumably made of bars,n as is the case with animal cages," smiling steadfastly, Jyn walked once in a circle and looked wryly at the two, "See, no use to me. What can I do for you?"

"You haven't read her entire file can that be?" the guard laughed, retrieving a pad with a pen stuck to it from inside his jacket and handing it to Jyn, "You should have"

"Thank you," full of enthusiasm Jyn turned the pages, then the next and started scribbling away on the notes until she handed the pad right back to the guard, "How fortunate that I already know the entire numbers. 2013 was missing and ouch, the government doesn't like it at all when anything is just swept under the table. You're welcome."

"Am I getting screwed right now?" blubbered Flag, pointing a finger at Jyn, "You just give her a pad like that, with a pen she can easily kill us with. Do you have any idea what she can do with a simple and harmless ballpoint pen?"

"Two years she sat in the Black Gate and in that time, she never attacked a guard, nor tried to kill anyone, nor even tried to escape. There was one incident with a fellow inmate, though, and she slit his throat. Ugly mess," the guard replied unimpressed, skimming the notes on the pages, "After he attacked her and tried to kill her. It's his own fault. She has been here for half a year now. She is the most harmless, dangerous killer locked up here. Now you know her. Don't bore and underchallenge her, and most importantly, don't play dumb. She reacts allergically to stupidity and.....health.... and just like the other, she doesn't act haphazardly. If the plan sucks, you will hear it from her. She will let you know. So, I'm done so far, so can we move on or do you want anything else?"

Apologetically, Jyn had raised her hand and the other in front of her face, having sneezed once when the guard mentioned it with stupidity. Unlike the other detainees, who didn't need a big better said, any reason at all to kill someone, she didn't harbor any particular interest in harming the guards. The guards didn't do anything to her, they were just doing their job, and they didn't harass her, so she didn't do anything to them either.

Poor little toy soldier, doesn't know that's him or what he's gotten himself into. No, let's rephrase the sentence. So that this one is also correct. Poor, stupid little toy soldier, doesn't know that he is what she was so eagerly waiting for, nor what will await him.

Pain. Never-ending.... Never-ending pain.
Crushing of skulls, of jaws; crushing of tracheas, of larynxes, and splitting of bodies.
Impact. Followed by a dull thud on the rock-hard, cold and damp ground.
Motionless. Unable to continue moving.
Dead. Lifeless, cold and stiff bodies. Surrounded, in the middle, next to her.

"Please," Jyn whispered, barely audible and rather weakly, as she stretched her arms forward and tried to crawl on, fingernails digging into the stone floor, "Don't..... it slowly. I..... can.....'t take it anymore."
"Get up," without any effort or toil, Jyn was grabbed by the neck, lifted up and slammed against the nearest wall, "The human body is capable of more than we think, as you yourself know. It can heal even the worst injuries miraculously. And as long as you can crawl and talk, you won't die either. It's just pain. A sign that you are alive. So get back up and go on as if nothing is wrong. Got it?!"