Chapter 37

Chapter 37
Echoing Love
raeminiscence | #WDLFUwp

"Chai..." Maddox called me sweetly.

"Hmm?"

"You're quiet... Anong iniisip mo?"

I held in my laugh. I got lost in my thoughts while I watched him practice wearing diapers on a small pillow. Our baby was about to be born soon and we used our sweet time to prepare ourselves as much as possible. We were equally excited and nervous, with the former dominating more.

I inserted my bookmark and closed the book. "Nothing in particular. I just like watching you practice."

His eyebrow rose and he let go of the diaper. He was at the other edge of the bed, then he crawled a little bit to close the distance between us.

"Bakit?"

"Because you look like... you can put another baby in me," I replied, laughing behind my smile.

He held my jaw gently and pushed himself closer to give me a slow kiss on the lips. Any other moment was like now; I felt him fighting the urge to break a smile against my lips.

"Hindi makapaghintay? Hindi ka pa nga nanganganak."

I pursed my lips inward. "I can wait for a few months."

He was taken aback with delight, a light of daze shone on his face. "Wait, Chai. 'Yung totoo? You want another baby after this?"

"I don't know. Still thinking about it." I shrugged. "Ikaw? Do you want one?"

"I'm all for anything you want."

I smiled timidly. "Let's wait for a few years. We don't have to rush into anything... For now, I just want to focus on our baby."

He nodded fondly, locking his eyes into mine. "We're really about to have a family now, Chai..."

"I'm so happy that it's with you and it feels so right."

And I couldn't wait to watch it grow.

"Bakit ka tumigil sa pagpa-practice? Hindi mo pa nagagawa nang maayos," I chuckled.

"Ikaw kasi e! Grabe ka makatingin sa'kin!" he accused, crawling back to his original spot. "Ano 'yung binabasa mo ngayon?"

I was certain he would want to know nothing from this book.

"Wala naman. Just the usual."

"You're not very good at lying right now."

"Ayaw mo lang malaman kung ano 'yung nandito sa libro."

His forehead crinkled. "Sigurado ka ba? Masyado mo akong inan-underestimate. Wala lang 'yun. Ano bang mayroon diyan?" he said, trying to reach for and pull down the corner of the book.

I resisted a little. "Sigurado ka ba? Baka naman maano ka diyan."

"Maano?"

Fine, dahil gustong gusto niya, tignan niya na lang. I turned the book to him and the draining color from his face was enough to explain why I was hesitant to show him the book at first. Out of respect, he straightened his back and acted like he witnessed nothing. I held back my laugh as he tried his hardest not to show any reaction.

"'Yun lang pala..." he whispered meekly.

"I'm sorry. You kind of asked for it. Binigay ko lang kung ano 'yung gusto mo."

He nodded. "Alam ko, Chai. Alam ko..."

It happened that I stopped reading at the part where the book discussed perineal or vaginal tears. There were visuals, colored and unfiltered, that I understood how it came as a shock to Maddox. Brutal na nga siguro pero hindi ko naiwasang hindi matawa sa itsura niya.