9. In The Blink Of An Eye

You grabbed a radio from the back and turned the dial until you heard static. Mike helped El into the tub and handed her the cardboard covered sunglasses. She slowly laid down and began to float. You all knelt around her, waiting for something to happen. After a few moments, the lights started to flicker.

"Woah." Argyle whispered.

"He has her." She spoke.

"Is she okay?" Will asked.

She didn't respond. In fact, she didn't say anything for a few more minutes. The flickering of the lights began to intensify as the minutes passed, along with the blood dripping from her nose.

"I see her. But she is young. She can't see me. Can't hear me. A memory."

"Do you see anything weird in this memory?" You asked. "Any sign of Vecna or the Mind Flayer?"

"No. Everything is normal-"

"What is it?"

"There is something that doesn't fit. I think it is another memory."

"A memory within a memory? " Argyle questioned. "That's wild."

Minutes passed as you sat in silence. The only sounds being static and the sound of your labored breathes. Her breathing began to pick up as she started to cry and gasp for air. 

"El, wake up!" Mike exclaimed.

"She can't breathe!" Jonathan pointed out.

"El, you have to get out of there!"

"Help me get her out!" Mike said as you all quickly pulled her out of the tub.

You laid her on the metal table as her gasps became more desperate.

"El, can you hear me?" He asked

"Mike, don't give up." Will told him. "You're the heart."

"El, I'm not sure if you can hear me, but if you can, I'm here. I love you. Do you hear me? I love you."

Her body laid there unresponsive, still fighting for air.

"I'm sorry I don't say it more. It's not because I'm scared of you. I've never felt that way. Ever.  But I am scared that one day you'll realize that you don't need me anymore. And I thought that if I said how I felt, it would somehow make that day hurt more."

 "That's good. Keep going." You told him. 

"But the truth is, El, I don't know how to live without you. I feel like my life started that day we found you in the woods. You were wearing that yellow Benny's Burgers T-shirt. And it was so big, it almost swallowed you whole. And I knew right then and there, in that moment, that I loved you. And I've loved you everyday since. I love you on your good days. I love you on your bad days. I love you with your powers, without your powers. I love you for exactly who you are."

"I think it's working!" 

"You're my superhero, and I can't lose you. Do you hear me? You can do anything. You can fly. You can move mountains. I believe that, I really do. But right now, you just have to fight. Okay? Fight!"

The lights rapidly fluttered on and off as her body started to convulse. 

"Is that good or bad?" Argyle asked. "Because it looks bad."

"You're going good, El. Just keep fighting."

You had never been a religious person, but you had suddenly found yourself praying for the young girl to wake up. Crimson poured from her nose and she continued to twist and turn. Mike never once let go of her hand.