8. 600 Pounds Of Salt

"You want anything?" You asked Will.

"No." He plainly answered as he followed you down the narrow aisle of the connivance store.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine."

"I am. Let's just check out so we can go."

"Alright." You walked over to the freezer and grab a coke for everyone. "You know you could tell me if you weren't okay, right?"

"I know. It's just complicated."

"How so?"

"Like...you ever have a secret that you want to tell, but you can't because it could mess up everything?"

"Yeah."

"There's something I want to tell, but I can't. Because if I do, I'll be even more of a freak than I am now."

"No matter what this secret is, I'm sure the people who care about you most won't mind."

"What if it's partially about them?"

"Then you just have to be honest with them. If they really care about you, they'll understand."

He went silent for a moment before speaking again.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, anything."

"How did you know you were in love with Jonathan?"

"Well, um...I don't know. I think I just kinda knew. Like...there wasn't one specific thing. But, to answer your question, I think I knew because of the way he makes me feel."

"The way he makes you feel?"

"Yeah. He makes me happy. But not regular happy, like...over the moon happy. He makes me smile and he makes me feel good about myself. No matter the situation, I always feel better when he's around. Whenever I'm away from him, I feel like a part of me is missing. I'm the best version of myself when I'm with him"

"Oh."

"Why do you ask? Is there a girl?"

You could immediately tell what was up. The use of 'girl' drew a visceral reaction out of him, causing him to frown.

"No." He told you as he shook his head.

"Oh. Is there...a boy?"

"What?" He quickly asked. He almost sounded offended by the question. "Why would you ask that?"

"It was just a question. I'm sorry."

You walked over to the counter before you heard him call out to you.

"Dana?"

"Yeah?"

"If there was...a boy," He said, whispering the last part. "Would that bother you? Like...would you see me differently than you do now?"

You placed your items on the counter and pulled him into a hug. After a few moments, he tightly wrapped his arms around you as if he was afraid you'd disappear.

"Not a chance. You're still the same little boy who'd show me his drawings every time I'd come over. You're still Will. Who you love won't change that, and it definitely won't change how much I love you."

"I love you too." He said with a shaky voice.

He tried to hide the tears that spilled from his eyes, but eventually gave up. You stayed like that for a little while until the cashier tapped on the counter.