The Scourge - Pirates & Privateers (Historical Adventure)

Review date: January 10, 2023

Author: CaptEdEdge

FIRST IMPRESSION: 5/5

COVER: 4/5

The first thing that made a good first impression is that I didn't have to hypothesize or overanalyze the contents of the book. The cover shows the iconic image of a pirate, the skull with two swords crossed. It doesn't deviate from the theme and it doesn't throw off the scent of the genre either. It's black and white, but the special thing about it is it doesn't have to be complicated or donned with so many effects. It's straightforward and I'd leave it as it is. Though, I'd just like to suggest spicing up the title's font and color so it's seen better. But entirely, it's a good cover.

TITLE: 5/5

I don't know if it's just me, but I had to squint while reading the title. I looked it up and 'Scourge' meant 'whip severely' or 'devastate.' So I just ignored the fact that I squinted and didn't know what it was initially. That's an indication that I was intrigued with the title and I took the time to read what it meant. That's how effective it was for me.

It applied to the continuation, which is "Pirates and Privateers." It sounded like a tongue twister the first time I read it, but that's just a minor matter. I'm not proposing that the author must improvise the terminology. It's adequate the way it is, but that's just my opinion. I'm hooked by the outside of the book, and that is the first mark that it's a nice cover. The next part of the rubric is to read the blurb.

BLURB: 8/10

What should have been an easy payday for a band of British privateers turns into a desperate fight for survival when they find a young woman in the wreck of a schooner.

Life is unforgiving for any privateering ship fighting in the Queen Anne's War, but of all the leaky tubs on the Caribbean sea, the brigantine ship, Scourge, and her crew have been dealt a pretty rotten hand. None more so than her newest member, Martin Hamish, a deckhand looked down upon by his captain and fellow shipmates, but eager to please nonetheless. Down on their luck and desperate for their next prize, the crew's prayers are answered when a burning ship, bursting with unclaimed loot, crashes into the shore nearby. However, their dreams of a free payday are quickly soured when they discover an enigmatic noblewoman in the wreck with a proposition that may well change their fortunes, or end them altogether.

What's interesting about the blurb is that, in the first sentence, it shows a state of dispiritedness in a certain condition or the desperate fight for survival. It doesn't beat around the bush or try so hard to sound flowery. It presents the conflict even in the beginning, which is the commencement of a fight when they find the young woman in particular. I admire how it was pulled off. That can be a challenge.

I love the personification, using the adjective "unforgiving" as a representation. By the way, I'm not a big fan of long blurbs (constructing blurbs of acceptable quality), but I gave this one a chance and I don't regret it. However, I just thought that there were too many commas separating the ideas. I don't mind introducing ideas, I just advocate pushing them out in moderation and be heedful of how many commas there are. In this way, it would remove a robotic effect.

PLOT: 20/20

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 20/20

DESCRIPTION: 15/15

Even with the first chapter, I was able to grasp the essence of the story. I instantly got the vibe and pictured everything well, such as the Caribbean (twilight) atmosphere.

In terms of the plot, I like how the action builds up effectively. The pacing was good and I empathize with the characters, especially when Martin Hamish and the rest who had to avoid the famous wrath of the Captain. I like that line. The writing style is very appropriate for the plot.

"Put down that bloody paintbrush and get to your sorry arse to your station!"

Even the dialogue is good, it really conveyed the emotions.

I'd also like to point out that it's a nice idea to put the preface. Personally, I like backgrounds or history before a story.

Everything was easy on the eyes and I can't stress enough how the word choice really stands out. I paid attention to minor details and events. This means that they're remarkable and don't just get left out from the observation of the readers.

WRITING STYLE: 10/10

GRAMMAR/PUNCTUATION: 9/10

I also credit how beautiful and short the preface is, where the definition of "privateers" is told. Like the first impression of the book, it is intriguing and at the same time, it doesn't put the readers on the wrong track.

Though I had to search what a 'Scourge' was, I was relieved to know that it is also the name of a ship and that it is referred to as a 'she.'

I'm in awe of the word choices, especially the figures of speech, using similes ("as pale as bone") and personification ("his black hair was slicked back behind his head with coiled tips dancing around his neck").

I was just bothered by the use of single quotation marks since they must only be used in quoted work or to draw attention to other words, but I'll not dive into that. Although I'm also particular about the technicalities, I'm more focused on the story itself and how it's presented.

OVERALL: 96/100

And finally, for my review, I'd say that my mind wandered to a different world reading it. In a good way! The descriptions are colorful and at the same time, evened out effortlessly and flawlessly.

Thank you for trusting me in reviewing your book! <3, Isabelle