The green numbers and words that I saw next made me realize I would be accepting every game challenge I got and trying to win, whatever the cost. It was an incredible chance for what was basically free money.

Game Challenge Complete.

Outcome: Win.

Reward: 3 sol.

Winstreak: 1/3.

Reward Bonus (GC): 0%

GC Selection Chance Bonus: 0%

Extra Prize Chance: 0%

"Should've picked Normal." A woman hobbling past with a tired face and stiff right leg spoke quietly to me.

"I'll keep that in mind next time," I said, just as quietly.

The post-game summary screen disappeared. I trudged onward, looking at the signs on the wall and trying to guess how many more steps I'd have to take to reach Zone 3, Block 6. The lame woman was hobbling alongside me, and I couldn't resist asking:

"Why did that guy try to stop me?"

"From accepting the GC?"

"Yeah."

"That happens all the time. All the time, Eleven," the woman whispered, the astronomical fatigue in her voice almost making me shudder in fear. "You got lucky. If there had been two of them, they would've grabbed you, dragged you away from the screen, and held you there, making it look like an accident, then let go when there were a few seconds left on the timer. You'd have had no chance. But at least the crowd would get their entertainment..."

"That's horrible!"

"It certainly is."

"Why would they do that?"

"If you don't accept a game challenge before the timer's up, it gets offered to someone else."

"But what are the chances whoever tries to stop me will be the one who gets the challenge?"

"You can figure it out yourself. But that's not important. They'd just go find whoever got it. If that person wins, they'll share the reward. If not... well, it's not like it cost them anything."

"I see," I said slowly, involuntarily shortening my stride.

This crippled, exhausted woman was walking faster than me. I could barely keep up. I wouldn't be winning any races with these legs of mine anytime soon.

"That's good," the woman said without turning around. "You're smart. That'll help you stay alive longer."

Is living like this really worth it? The thought was on the tip of my tongue, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

I understood the situation with the game challenge. If someone else had the chance to get extra sol instead of you, then, dirty as it was, it made sense to drag that lucky guy away from the screen and not let him take advantage of it. The system would use a random number generator and give someone else that chance. Maybe it would be you. And if it wasn't you, you would just find the winner and claim part of the reward for yourself.

But why hadn't the thug just punched me in the face? I hadn't seen any cops around. No one seemed to care about anything. One good punch would've definitely taken me down. Maybe even knocked me out. Hell, I'd have fallen over if he had just kicked my thigh, and it would've taken me forever to get up again. But he hadn't. Why not? The answer was simple: he was afraid of something. Of someone. I raised my eyes to look at the rail that ran across the ceiling. At that exact moment, a metal dome covered in electronic eyes rolled by with a buzz.