1.03 Acafellas

Evans Dining Room - Evening

Mrs. Evans: When did you start cooking, Charlie?

Charlie: Oh, it's just hamburger casserole. Look out for bones.

Sam: I'm sorry. I, um (laughing) I can't hold it in any longer. Um Mom, Dad. Charlie's pregnant.

Charlie: What?

Sam: It's a boy.

Mrs. Evans: Oh! Our first grandbaby! [giddy laugh]

Mr. Evans: Oh, that's fantastic.

Charlie: Thank you, yeah. Sweetheart. Honey?

Sam: Yeah?

Charlie: I thought we weren't going to tell anybody yet.

Mr. Evans: Oh your secret is safe with me. I spent six months In the Hanoi Hilton, never said a word. Am I right, doodle?

Mrs. Evans: That's right, honey.

Mr. Evans: [chuckling]

Charlie: Oh. Yeah, we're going to turn the craft room into the nursery.

Mrs. Evans: [gasps] Show me!

Charlie: Okay.

Mr. Evans: [chuckling] I'm really happy for you, son.

Sam: Tell you the truth, I'm terrified. I don't know how to do this.

Mr. Evans: No one does. Look at me. I was a mess. I worked all the time, traveling. I was too strict.

Sam: Okay, you're not instilling With a great deal of confidence here, Dad. [sighs] I mean, I'm already up all night thinking about this.

Mr. Evans: That's my fault– the confidence thing. Boys learn that from their fathers. I started at Zuckerman and Zuckerman in college. I needed some extra cash. I was saving up for law school. But I never went. I never even applied. Didn't have the balls. So, I settled for insurance. I mean, who was i to become a lawyer?

Sam: You would have been a great one. You're the smartest guy I know.

Mr. Evans: It's not about brains, son. Being a good father– hell, being a man– Is all about one thing: Guts. And you've got about six months to figure out if you have any.

Choir Room - Day

Sam: Five, six, seven, eight. Step and step. Step and step. And turn it around. Down and up. And hit, hit down hit.

Jasmine: Can we stop, please?

Sam: You don't have to ask me every time for permission to go to the bathroom, Jasmine. You can just go.

Jasmine: It's not my bladder. It's the choreography.

Sam: Okay, what's wrong with the choreography?

Jasmine: It sucks.

Flashback - Hallway - Day

Felicity: It sucks.

Sophie: It's completely unoriginal.

Jasmine: Are you guys going to get shunned for talking to me?

Felicity: Sweetie, we're a team now. But you've got to do something about Mr. Evans' dance routines.

Present - Choir Room - Day

Jasmine: We can't compete with vocal adrenaline with these steps. You're a great vocal coach, Mr. Evans, but you're not a a trained choreographer. That's what we need to be the best. We need  Dexter Stanley.