-thirty: you and i

"so esme, what do you do outside of school?" mason's dad asked, as they ate the macaroni and chicken ms.smith made.

"uh, i do dance, mostly contemporary ballet and hiphop and i used to play volleyball." esme responded.

"hey i do ballet too!" brooke said from next to esme, holding up her hand for a high five.

"i told you, she's really talented!" ms. thames whispered to her husband.

mason then tapped on esme, and she turned her head towards him as the families continued to talk.

"can we go to the nearby beach? please?" he asked.

"mase, by the time were done with dinner and with playing incoherent it will be like 11 o'clock."

"i just wanna be alone with you for some time. when i go back i'll be so busy and then you'll start school again, i just want to be with you." mason said.

"well when you say it all cute and romantic you're making me say yes." esme said.

"okay so, we can go?" mason asked again. "yes mason, we can go."

mason smiled at his girlfriend, then resting his hand on her knee.

"hey esme, do you wanna do a quick ballet routine with me?" brooke asked.

"no, she doesn't." mason leaned over towards his sister.

esme had come to sit down late, and unfortunately the only seat left was in between brooke and mason.

if esme knew anything from having siblings is that you never put anyone between them, it's worse than having them right next to each other.

the sibling silently argued until esme shooed them both away.

"i kinda can't dance cause i had practice yesterday and i do pointe so my feet have to rest and stuff."

"you do pointe? me too, i'm actually at a ballet academy." brooke said.

"really? i've always wanted to go to a ballet academy . i'm graduating next year, i'm a junior right now. i was gonna join one next year but i was thinking i should join now."

"where i go to, colburn dance academy is having a raffle where they pick 5 people to join us. and they get to pick their dorms."

"do you think i should maybe submit myself? resume and all?" esme questioned.

"of course! and if you get in, we can share a dorm!" brooke said.

"wait es, you know colburn's in california right?" mason asked.

"even better, i've wanted to go to california for a long time." esme said.

"yeah but, that will keep us apart even more and longer."

"they don't give you that many vacations." mason said.

"well mase, it's okay. calm down it's not like i'll be alone."

"yeah but-"

"and it's not like i'm guaranteed of getting in." esme said.

"i know but, if you do get in-"

"kids, come on, we're gonna play incoherent!" charlotte yelled, as she finished cleaning up the plates with ms. thames.

they all migrated to the living room, esme and jace staying behind.

"what was that over there?" he whispered.

"brooke suggested i join her ballet academy in california since their having a raffle. except they don't get a lot of vacations or breaks which means even when mason isn't busy he won't be able to call me or visit."