It already is

A few days ago I was walking past you and you called my name. I saw you sitting at the end of a bench, and you patted it. "Patrick, come here."

I couldn't believe it. I saw down beside you and you rested your head on my shoulder, snaking a hand around my waist. You could have stripped off your clothes and danced on the railway line and I couldn't have been more surprised. Okay, maybe I would've, but you get the picture. I rested my head on yours and lay a hand on your shoulders, and together we sat in silence until my train came.

Then the next day I sat beside you again, this time without invitation. We sat together and I marvelled at how your head fit on my shoulder like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and how my arm fit on your shoulders. It felt so right.

On the third day, yesterday, you spoke to me. "Thank you so much for the money. I . . . They hate it when I give it away. But she needed it more than me." I smiled. "No problem."

After a few minutes I asked her "What's your biggest wish?"

I felt you relax beside me.

"To fall in love," you said simply.

I chuckled a bit. "Do you think that's ever going to come true?"

You twisted your head so that you were looking at me. "I think it already is."

-P.