Irresponsible

I went into Mikey's Milkshakes to get a hot chocolate and you were there with your mum and a man who I assume was your dad. You looked furious and I was stunned. How could a face that smiled so often look so angry?

"I'm so sick of this! Why don't you trust me?"

"Because you just lost fifty dollars! That was your mother's money! We trusted you with that money and you go and lose half of it! Just because you're -" he guestured to you - "the way you are doesn't mean you have to be so damned irresponsible!"

Woah. Your face flushed red and your eyes grew wide. "The way I am?" You spat. That was it. I pulled out my wallet and dug out my fifty dollar note. I walked across the cafe and 'tripped' over a chair leg, almost colliding with you and your chair. Your hand was dangling down the side of your chair and your parents didn't see me slip the note into it.

"Oh, I am so sorry," I said, backing away. Your parents ignored me but you gave me a little smile before dropping it as you turned your face back to your parents. "And I didn't lose anything! Stop making stupid assumptions! I just said I couldn't remember where I put it!" And you rummaged in your pocket and pulling out the money, which was, of course, already in your hand. You slammed it on the table before wheeling off down the street.

There was no time for me to buy a hot chocolate before my train came so I left and dashed across the street.

The truth is, I knew you hadn't lost the money. I saw you giving it to Old Sally, the homeless woman who sleeps in the alley beside the jewellery store.

-P.