Aurelia could feel a mixture of concern and curiosity from Percy. "Where exactly did Nico find you?"

Hazel shot a glance at Aurelia but the daughter of Pavor just waved at her. A simple gesture that said It's up to you.

"I'll explain," Hazel promised. She clawed through her pack, which they had placed beside her along with her bundled sword. "Is ... is there anything to drink?"

"Yeah." Percy muttered a curse in Greek. "That was dumb. I left my supplies down at the boat."

Hazel was definitely feeling guilty now. "Never mind. I can walk ..."

"Don't even think about it," Frank said. "Not until you've had some food and water. I'll get the supplies."

"No, I'll go," Percy offered, shooting a glance at Frank's hand on Hazel's. Then he scanned the horizon as if he sensed trouble, but there was nothing to see—just the lighthouse and the field of grass stretching inland. "You guys stay here. I'll be right back.

"You sure?" Hazel asked. "I don't want you to—"

"I can go with him," Aurelia offered. "Buddy system. Just to be safe." And also she didn't really want to be left with just Frank and Hazel while acting awkwardly around each other.

Percy nodded. "Okay. We'll be quick. Frank, just keep your eyes open. Something about this place ... I don't know."

"I'll keep her safe," Frank promised.

Aurelia stood and she followed Percy back down towards the boat to get their supplies.

"You see it too right?" Percy asked. "Do they like each other?"

"I am an empath, Percy," Aurelia muttered. "I literally feel it. I want to say something, but I think that they need to be able to get there without any interference. Wherever 'there' may be."

Percy nodded in agreement. They reached the Pax and he passed her her bag before grabbing his own.

Percy studied Aurelia. "You do that a lot don't you? Keep people's secrets?"

"Fear is the mindkiller, Perseus. Seeing people's fears allows me to make certain judgments. I can tell a lot from a person's fears, like their motives, their intentions. Their secrets. It is a part of my job. Secrets are killers. My job was to determine if they would kill the beholder of the secret, or if there was a possibility it would take down others in the process."

"So you knew about Hazel's blackouts?" Percy asked.

Aurelia nodded.

"Do you know where she comes from?"

Aurelia made a so-so gesture.

"How come you never tell?"

Aurelia blinked thoughtfully. "Because it is disrespectful to share private information without permission. Like say ... if someone burned down a spa when they were younger and caused several people to get kidnapped? Just to give an example."

Percy pursed his lips. "I know I apologized already, but I really am sorry."

Aurelia shrugged. "Reyna used to always say that maybe it was Fate. It was a hard time, I will admit, but she is right. If it did not happen, we would never have gotten to Camp Jupiter."

Percy was hesitant, and Aurelia could feel it.

"Ask me whatever it is you want to ask me."

"Do you know why we did it?"

Aurelia shouldered her bag with a sigh. "I had a few theories, but I think the most likely one was to escape."

"Escape?"