5: Fluke Or Was There More To The Retard

Let me warn you these are rewritten, readout the previous chapter to get a full understanding of the story. This chapter it completely new. And is mostly written by Ms Relendria.so credits goes to her

Guang Chia-Hao entered the command tent with the general. It was dominated by a large table covered with a detailed map of the terrain. Various carved figures depicted the two armies and various other items of interest. Guang Chia-Hao immediately focused on the map, noting and memorizing the positions of the members of each army.

The General had no idea that Guang Chia-Hao not only understood the map but that he had also memorized it already. He gestured towards the grey figures saying: “Over here is the Zhuang army." 

Then, suspecting that the young Prince didn’t understand, he picked up a figure and brought it closer to Guang Chia-Hao’s face.

“Do you understand?" He asked with doubt lacing his voice.

Guang Chia-Hao had understood the situation from his first glance but he simply nodded his head to let the General know he understood. His expression, however, remained as blank as it always was and the General suspected that the boy was simply pretending to understand. He kept his continuing doubts to himself and stretched his hand towards the black figures. "These ones represent our great Zhong army. As you can see, we are sadly outnumbered by the enemy.” 

Guang Chia-Hao nodded and studied the map intently. The General watched him, recognizing that the boy’s eyes were thoughtful even though his face showed no emotion.

“Here…,” a finger pointed to a ravine between the two armies. “This spot would be a great place for an ambush. It would be especially effective if you blocked the far end after the enemy entered and diverted the river here to flood the place.”

General Song’s eyes widened as he saw the potential in a spot he had always disregarded as a nuisance that he could only guard.

“It would take some attractive bait to lure the enemy into the ravine, however,” he countered. He watched Guang Chia-Hao out of the corner of his eye, wondering if the suggestion was a lucky fluke or if there was something more to this “retarded” boy.

“Yes,” Guang Chia-Hao agreed. “Presumably they have sufficient supplies, so a supply train of our own wouldn’t work – especially since our supply trains have no reason to use that ravine…” Guang Chia-Hao’s voice trailed off as he considered.

“Sun Tzu says that those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle… how to bring them to our field?”

General Song was practically holding his breath at this point. Clearly this boy knew more than rumors would have him believe and at this point in the conflict with  Zhuang, General Song was willing to take whatever help he could find.

“General Song, do we have men infiltrated in their camp?” Guang Chia-Hao asked after some thought.

“A few,” the General admitted. “They aren’t in positions of power, however. A few cooks, some slaves, and some Army prostitutes.”

“That’s perfect.” Guang Chia-Hao didn’t smile but his eyes sparkled with a bit of excitement. “What we want is a rumor. It should come from the slaves and be verified – subtly – by the prostitutes. We want to draw the Zhuang command’s attention to this ravine as an unguarded route to attack our army. While the rumor percolates, we will have time to divert the river along this line here.”

Guang Chia-Hao drew an imaginary line along the map.

“If you can create a bit of a reservoir just by the ravine, that would be even better. When the Zhuang command takes the bait, we need to let as many of their men as possible enter the ravine before blocking both ends with explosives. Then, release the water. What men don’t drown can be picked off by archers on the rim.”

Guang Chia-Hao firmly tamped down on his feeling of revulsion at planning the ruthless slaughter of so many humans. He kept reminding himself that those men had invaded his country and brought this on themselves. The General, on the other hand, was practically dancing with glee.

“Go to your tent and rest, boy – my staff and I will handle it from here!”

General Song was so excited that he didn’t even notice his lapse in proper etiquette for a royal member. Guang Chia-Hao, of course, didn’t care enough to notice.

After bidding farewell to the general and entering his private tent, Guang Chia-Hao sat down on the flat rug that had been placed on the ground for him. He relaxed for the first time since his rebirth and began processing the tremendous shock that his prior life and rebirth were.

A month ago Guang Chia-Hao had been reborn into his prior life. During this past month he spent his time being a faithful son to his mother; unlike his last life where he didn't listen to her and spend his time begging the Emperor to find a way to cure her and finding different doctors to treat her. 

Many doctors came but none could cure her. Without the proper technology to diagnose disease and the surgical and pharmaceutical knowledge to cure disease, his mother only could succumb to the fate the heavens had granted her from the start.

Guang Chia-Hao had no practical medical knowledge from the advanced worlds he had vaguely sensed while he was in the in-between place after his death. He hated that he knew there were worlds with the knowledge to save his mother but that he couldn’t gain their knowledge and tools so he bowed to reality and simply did his best to make his mother's last days as comfortable as possible. He was able to spend those days with his mother, which made her very happy, but he couldn't save her and that regret still gnawed at him.

General Song was in the command tent strategizing the plan to lure the Zhuang army into the trap Guang Chia-Hao had suggested.

"Aside from the men from our best archers unit, I want two troops of skilled fighters to protect them from surprises. And since the force in the ravine will not be their main fighting force, I want to buy time to wipe the invaders out entirely by sending a midnight raid on the main Zhuang encampment.” General Song looked at his two vice-generals. “General Li, your men are the best at night warfare so I want you to plan the attack and train intensely while we set up the trap. General Wu, your men will be responsible to guard an exit path for General Li’s men. This attack will be dangerous for our fighters so I want the men to make a lightning strike. Go in, set fires, destroy what supplies you can, if you can kill any leaders – that would be a great blessing. But don’t engage and withdraw as soon as they mobilize their defense. Questions?” 

The two vice-generals shook their heads and studied the map. Both of them were planning how to prepare for this offensive. General Song was correct in saying that this was a highly dangerous mission but if it succeeded they would be responsible for striking the first solid blow against the invading army since the invasion began.

"What about his Highness?" Colonel Wang asked with concern.

"Take him to the cave system where the waterfall starts the river,” General Song decided. The boy had given him a great strategy but he was still a novice in battle and could only be a hindrance during the operation. “Bring 40 soldiers along to protect him." 

One brilliant suggestion couldn’t change General Song’s feeling that the 8th Prince was weak and uneducated but the suggestion had earned Guang Chia-Hao some good feelings that were more than just the duty to protect the Imperial family.

“If we have any men who have done protection duty, send them,” the General added as an afterthought.

Colonel Wang nodded. He had been General Song’s adjutant long enough to understand the General’s meaning. He wanted a serious defense for the Prince, not just a pretense. All three men soon left to begin their duties and the General called in his aide, charging him with the job of setting the explosives and diverting the river without letting the enemy catch wind of their actions. The job of spreading rumors was handed off to his spymaster and General Song took a deep, satisfied breath as he took his place at his desk. He rewarded himself with some tea before starting the never-ending paperwork that being a General entailed.