Chapter Sixty-One

Start from the beginning

"I admire your bravado and for that, I will grant your wish," Gwendolyn replied and turned to her father, "Set the Princess Mia free."

I was confused. What was Gwendolyn's plan?

Her father growled enthusiatically and lumbered towards me.

Gwendolyn shot her father a smirk and said, "I doubt you'll get to meet her, but it will allow Prince Luc a few precious moments with his wife before we slaughter them all."

The demon reached out towards me with long unnatural arms. Its terrifying mouth and clawed fingernails transfix me. Fear bubbles inside me and I feel my power manifesting.

I'm going to to kill this thing. I'm going to grab its jaws and pull it apart like a god damn cheese string. I'm going to...

I stop. The demon is changing shape. Its sharpened fingernails retract. Its bloody beak shrinks back into it's head. The creatures strange proportions shift back into proportion and in a matter of seconds, I'm staring at perfectly normal man.

A perfectly normal man who looks exactly like Casper.

A kind smile crosses Casper's face and that fear inside me dissolves.

A little voice in the back of my head is screaming at me. It's not him. This is not Casper - this is Fake Demon Casper.

Fake Casper reaches out, and grabs my shoulders. My feet lift off the ground, and I'm thrown hard and fast across the clearing into a large silver birch tree.

My back slams into the tree trunk, and the tree, weak with black rot snaps in two like a twig. I lay on the ground for a few seconds, stunned and winded. Fake Casper is standing twenty foot away, sneering and laughing at me with his daughter.

I glance over my shoulder at the broken birch trunk and wonder if Mia is finally free. I'm not given much time to wonder this as Fake Casper seems to be making his way toward me again.

I stagger to my feer and close my eyes. Fake Casper may look like Casper, but he is not Casper. I try to think horrible thoughts. The decomposing bodies in the tree. The hanging girl. The Wendigo. My mother bleeding to death on the bathroom floor.

I clench my fist into a tight ball and open my eyes. Fake Casper is close. He lunges at me and I slam my fist hard into it's jaw.

Fake Casper's eyes widen in shock as bone splitting crack echoes across the clearing. His hand leaps to it's broken jaw and lets out a whimper of pain.

Behind him, I see the smile from Gwendolyn's face fall. She fidgets from side to side and yells, "What are you doing? Kill her!"

I don't give Fake Casper a chance to respond to his daughter. Instead, I raise my fist start punching him in the head, over and over again. I channel all my pent up rage and imagine that I'm hitting Rudolph's stupid smug face.

Gwendolyn screams as Fake Casper starts haemorrhaging black blood from his ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.

I only stop when Fake Casper crumples to the snowy ground. He whimpers and writhes in agony, clutching his face. I stand over him, wondering how I was supposed to kill him.

My hand drifts to the knife Rayne had given me, but it was too small to kill a demon. Perhaps, I should try punching through its chest like I did with the Wendigo?

I raise fist over his back and think about the time when Rudolph called me a whore in the middle of my wedding ceremony. I focus that rage and anger into my fist then...

Fake Casper turns. He is holding splinter of wood from the broken birch tree. His arm moves fast, slamming the pointed piece of wood into my heart.

Pain explodes through my chest. I reach up and wrap my fingers around the wooden stake sticking out my chest. I yank the splinter out of my chest and toss it aside.