IV. RUN X THROUGH X THE PAIN

Start from the beginning

She had reached the end of the tunnel about one minute after the boys, leaving her to be the third applicant to pass the finish line.

"Ahah! I win which means Killua and Kamine have to buy my meal!" Gon cheered as Killua pouted, "No, I won so you and Kamine have to buy my meal!" He retorted bitterly as Gon sighed.

"Mr. Satotz, did you see who crossed the finish line first? Me or Killua?" Gon inquired to the man as he stared at the boys.

"You both crossed the line simultaneously." He replied with a curt nod as Gon frowned.

"I guess that means we both won. Then that means Kamine has to buy us both dinner." Gon hummed as he turned to face the girl who held her stomach in clear pain. "Kamine? What's wrong?" Gon frowned in worry as he took a step towards the girl.

She didn't respond as she stared at the boy. Without warning her knees buckled beneath her as a blurred figure sprinted past Gon.

Before he could even react Killua had already caught the female, his arms supporting her thin frame as her legs dragged on the ground. "Idiot!" He hissed wiping her clammy bangs from her eyes. "You're breaking out in a fever! Why did you run with us if you were sick?" He frowned bitterly as the girl regained her footing, standing on her own as Killua still refused to let go of her arms.

"Gon already offered to carry you. If you weren't feeling well why did you refuse it." He huffed his grip tightening in frustration as he looked down the pale girl.

She avoided his eyes, "...I didn't want to hinder your exams..." She whispered so quietly the boys had to strain their ears to hear.

It was the first time Gon had heard Kamine's voice. Her voice was more dulcet than he expected, even if it was nothing more than a hushed whisper. He smiled, growing a fondness for the girl. He was flattered that within less than an hour of meeting him she was willing to sacrifice her chances of passing in order to guarantee his.

She was a lot kinder than he expected.

"Are you an idiot! It would be more of a hinderance if you passed out from a fever in the middle of the exam!" Killua retorted, lightly flicking her on the forehead as he scolded the female.

He spun around before pulling the female forward, grabbing her legs protectively as he hoisted her tiny figure onto his back. She reeled in shock as she pushed against his shoulders, pulling away from the boy as she looked at him in shock. "If you're tired just tell me and I'll carry you. This exam was too easy anyways." Killua frowned looking foreword. The girl hesitated as she noticed a small tinge of pink on his ears as he refused to make eye contact with the female.

"I'm sorry Kamine, I didn't realize you were sick." Gon frowned standing beside the female as she looked at him wearily. "I feel like it's unfair to make you pay now..." He hummed in innocent sadness.

"Oh I know. Killua will just have to pay for my meal and I will pay for his!" He determined as Killua scoffed. Kamine let out a rare chuckle as she smiled as the boy, her eyelashes flickering as she leaned further into Killua's back.

It was only moments before her exhaustion beat her lulling her into a deep slumber, completely missing the pink hue that coated the boys' cheeks, completely flabbergasted by her unexpected feminine laugh.

Killua glanced at the boy for a minute before looking forward once again, "Hey, Sasquatch. How much longer do we have to wait until we can proceed." Killua rudely asked, butchering the man's name again as the information eluded him.

"It's Satotz." He coughed in mild frustration as he eyed the white-haired boy. "We are scheduled to wait fifteen minutes after my arrival time for the rest of the applicants. Anyone unable to reach the surface before those fifteen minutes are up are disqualified from the exam." Satotz explained to the boys as a few more applicants filed in, a total of ten so far passing the finish line.

"Mr. Satotz, is the first phase already completed?" Gon inquired innocently as the man's mustache twitched upwards.

"No. I am still to lead you to the second phase, we are just taking a twenty minute respite to weed out the bulk." Satotz explained as Gon hummed.

"Okay!" He smiled cheerfully, completely unbothered by the duration of the first phase.

"Well... we better get comfortable." Killua nodded towards the wall, gesturing for the pair to sit as he slid Kamine into his arms, the girl completely unbothered as he rested her unconscious body against his own. Gon only hesitated for a moment before taking a seat beside the boy yawning as he stretched out his legs.

"I hope she feels better." Gon frowned glancing at the female who was curled up against Killua's chest as her eye twitched in mild discomfort.

"Leorio is training to become a doctor," The boy hummed as he hugged his knees close to his chest. "Perhaps he can help her feel better."

"Yeah, if he passes." Killua scoffed looking away as he protectively held the sleeping girl against him, scanning the crowd for potential danger as she peacefully slept.

"I don't think we'll have to worry about that." Gon chuckled confidently. He looked around for a moment before his eyes landed on the girls bag, staring at it curiously.

It was surprisingly heavy for its size, he noted as he grabbed the black briefcase flicking up the gold clips. He only took a brief glance at the interior leather before he was quickly stopped, "Gon, what the hell do you think you're doing?!" Killua snapped, stopping him with his one free hand as the boy looked at him in shock.

"I was just wondering if she had anything in her bag to make her feel better." Gon explained innocently as he struggled to comprehend Killua's growing animosity.

"Idiot that's a girl's bag! You can't do that." He hissed glaring at the boy.

"Why not?" Gon titled his head in confusion as Killua sighed.

"It's a girl's bag, it might have like... "girl stuff" in it." Killua furrowed his brows in frustration as his face seared in embarrassment, dropping the boy's hand.

"Girl stuff?" Gon questioned innocently, completely oblivious to Killua's implications, "Like perfume or lipstick?"

"No! I mean like-..." Killua paused growing uncomfortably awkward as he looked away, "Nevermind. Just don't look into it okay. It's a breach of privacy." Killua sighed as he pulled the bag away from Gon. Placing it on the other side of the pair as he looked ahead.

"Okay... sorry." The boy mumbled as he shifted awkwardly at the boy, looking back at the sleeping girl as a frown appeared on his face.

He really wished she'd get better soon.

-=-=-

-* notes *-

#13 - Killua felt extremely guilty he never noticed Kamine's malaise.

#14 - Gon was flattered by Kamine's kindness. He sincerely hopes she recovers soon.

#15 - Although Killua has no faith, Gon is confident Kurapika and Leorio will pass the exam alongside them.

-=-=-