Chapter 20 - Little mouse you are the light of my world

Start from the beginning

-

After a while of barking orders at the pack I made sure to make an important call for reinforcements. Most of my warriors were split between two different packs that needed us. I couldn't help but wonder if this was all planned out. Why make themselves known now if not because they knew we were few in fighters at this time.

If I put too many guards on the borders then there will not be enough to guard the pack house. Then add the worry of leaving Alexa without myself next to her. The only exception is if Ryan, Lionel, Nolan or Misti is by her side. They are the strongest and my most trusted. The other issue is I need all of them join the guards to make up for the numbers.

I didn't want Alexa to hear anything that would upset her anymore than she already is so I let Misti stay with her when I couldn't. Outside from that reason I turned our room into a quick makeshift office in a matter of hours.

Most of the day has gone by and Alexa was now asleep on my lap as I talked on the phone. Ryan was acting as my assistant as I got him to work on the computer to set up meetings with the elders and neighbouring packs. Unfortunately, the packs that had my fighters still desperately needed my warriors. I couldn't pull them out when the threat wasn't imminent and 'no real threats were made'. Bullshit was all I heard but I bit my own tongue knowing fully well they were right. My hands were tied and all I could do is continue on high alert to protect Alexa from her nightmares coming to life.

Patting Alexa's damp hair, I sigh in sorrow for my mate. My beautiful waffle loving mate.

Even now at her worse she looked stunning to me. From the freckles on her nose to the freckles down her back. I already miss her delicate innocent green eyes as she slept. I loved when her loose curls bounced as she ran in the kitchen after our first date. I wanted her to feel free like that for the rest of her life.

"Aden I'm done with the paper work did you need me here anymore for the night?" Ryan spoke breaking me from my thoughts.

Looking down at Alexa then at the time on my phone and back to Ryan I answered. "Fuck I didn't realise what time it was. You are good to go. Tell Natalie I said hi. I haven't seen her very much around the pack house I don't think she has even met Alexa yet."

"She hasn't felt very good since coming back from her seeing her family. She was only supposed to be there for the week but of course they made up some excuse for her to stay longer." Ryan shrugged. "When everything is settled down and Alexa is up for it, I'm sure Natalie would love to meet her."

We shared our goodnights and once Ryan closed the door, I let out a long sigh I didn't know I was holding. The weight of the day finally came pushing down and the only thing keeping me from going down was the need to protect Alexa. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her when she finally accepted me. Alexa finally accepts me as her mate and we barely got to celebrate it before our world came tumbling down.

The last couple of weeks were already wearing me down from the mate bond. It killed me noticing her slowly struggling with the bond too. It was hard to stop my wolf from marking her to ease her tension but that would have ended her life if she wasn't ready.

Honestly, I wasn't great to her from the start and I wish I could change how I handled things. Regrets always on my mind about how I treated her. The mind wincing memories always catch up to me when I'm this close to her making me feel like an imposter that doesn't deserve her.

The room was empty thankfully. I made the right call asking Ryan to get Alexandria out of the room. It was killing me to see my mate so introverted when under all that 'fear' was a bright funny waffle loving girl. Every time I saw her in the room my heart broke. How could she be my mate? Why did this have to happen to my mate.