13 | body language

Start from the beginning

The spot isn't vacant for very long before Shanice eases down beside me, resting the back of her head on my bicep with a sly smile. "What can I say? There's just a better view over here." She reaches for the bottle on the table and pours herself up.

I shrug indifferently, turning my attention back to my cousin. Ashanti is standing in the front row now, smiling warmly as she records him. I don't know when she came in, but I'm happy that she didn't miss his performance.

I'll be free to dip soon, already knowing that Dex will be preoccupied for real now. Plus, I'm uninterested in furthering conversation with anybody else. My bed feels like the better option.

I set my empty glass down on the table, taking in the newly uncovered view of the bar that Shanice's absence from the space across from me has offered. Niko is leaning on the counter, speaking with a forced sense of suave to the woman next to him.

Goofy ass nigga.

I tolerate him because he's good for business. His popularity online and in the clubs is how Mack and I got our clientele up in the beginning. He would bring the crowd out and we would supply a decent building and equipment. Eventually, the two of them actually became cool outside of work though so he tags along with us sometimes.

The bartender replaces the empty martini glass in front of her with a fresh one that's tinted with a light green hue and I straighten my posture.

I've never seen Giselle drink before.

No longer in box braids, her natural hair has been straightened and parted down the middle, reaching just above the center of her back. I easily recognize the black form-fitting dress as one of her creations. It's long, covering her ankles and strapless, revealing more than just a bit of cleavage. Simple and sexy.

Her beauty isn't the most noticeable thing about her right now though. It's the redness in her eyes, the untouched food in front of her, and the way her eyebrows seem to be permanently furrowed together in affliction that concerns me.

Now, her gaze is fixated on the graceful lady that's just taken the stage. Sitting on a stool, tears stream down the woman's face as she strums the acoustic guitar placed on her lap.

Giselle takes a deep breath, plastering on a phony smile as Niko attempts to continue whatever conversation he's hell bent on having, completely ignoring her obvious disinterest.

Is it really obvious or am I just paying too much attention?

I always listen when body language talks, especially Giselle's.

Dex approaches, holding hands with his girl, a smug grin tugging at his lips. I dap him up and without missing a beat, he plops down across from me, pulling Ashanti into his lap.

"You did yo' thang fasho." I nod my approval.

"Preciate it, cuzzo."

The next twenty minutes or so go by in slow motion. Dex and Ashanti get lost in conversation that they occasionally tag me in while Shanice won't shut the fuck up for even a second. The music seems to be louder now too, no longer coming from live performers and the headache that I've got brewing prompts me to finally stand up to dismiss myself.

"June, wait." Shanice hurriedly places her cup on the table and pulls her dress down as shuffles to her feet. "I think I need a ride. I'm too drunk to drive myself all the way home. Can you help me please." She bats her eyelashes, using every ounce of labored sex appeal to persuade me.