Chapter Fourteen: Big Game

Start from the beginning

One ref with a bald head and wiry circular glasses crossed the court and came over to me, “Excuse me miss, but we make the calls. We’re professionals.”

I scoffed, “Professionals? You know you got that shirt from foot locker.”

“Miss I’m going to need you to calm down or we’ll have to kick you out.”

I folded my arms together over my chest, “Kick me out, that’s fine with me. It’s still not going to change the fact that you need a better prescription.”

“Miss,” I could see a vein popping out from his bald head and suppressed a laugh.

“Hey baldy, you know that that was a foul. It’s not my fault you can’t see. Honestly you should be blaming your optometrist.”

The refs face began to glow bright red while he clenched his teeth, “Miss, I'm afraid you’ll have to leave the gym.”

Standing up, I turned around and faced the crowd. Cy-Cy was hunching down in her seat trying to stay as unnoticeable as possible.

“Hey! You guys saw that right? It was clearly a foul! Don’t you think we deserve one more shot?”

The crowd began to chant out one more shot, while the refs heads moved from Eric, on the ground, to the score clock. After speaking to each other, they walked out to the middle of the court while the crowd waited on the edges of their seats.

"After judging the play, we have guaranteed a foul while the player was in the air. Since the game is over, the home team will get one shot."

As Eric walked towards the foul line, I could feel the suspense in the air. The gym was quiet as he received the pass from the referee. He only had one shot.

Turning his head, his eyes locked with mine. Shooting him a thumbs up, he grinned back and slightly nodded his head.

Focusing on the rim, he released the ball from his hands.

Swish.

Everyone stood up from their seats and went wild. People were stripping off their shirts and waving them around in the air while others were hugging each other. Grabbing items from the sac, I placed them in my pockets and jumped over the bleachers and on to the court. Racing over to the team who was celebrating in their huddle, I crashed into Eric and hugged him to death.

"That was awesome! You might be able to take me one on one."

He laughed while hugging me back. The rest of the team gave me pats on the back for helping them win the game by calling the foul. Well all of them except for Remy who was sulking by himself in a corner. Probably because he knew he almost lost the game for them.

Once they had finished congratulating me, I took a step back and smiled at them evilly.

Shawn was the first one to notice my facial expression and gave me a worried look, "Uhm shortie, why are you looking at us like that?"

Placing my hands into my pockets, I whipped out two water guns and pointed them at the team. They all stared at me, and then began laughing.

Shawn took a step towards me and placed a hand on my shoulder, "Uhm shortie, you don't think we're afraid of a little water do you?" When my expression stayed the same, he reached down and pinched my cheek. "That's cute."

Grinning cryptically at the team, I whispered loudly, "Congratulations on the win."

With that, I pulled the trigger on one gun and let the goop loose on Shawn. It nailed him right in the eye. Spinning the gun in my hand, I swiftly tucked it back into my sweats.

With his expression now turning grim, he rubbed the goop off his eye and stared down at me, "Shorty, what was that?"

I smirked at him while glancing at my nails, "Oh nothing really, just a mix of Gatorade and red paint. No biggie."

The rest of the team began to back up against a wall while I took menacing steps towards them. What a bunch of sissies. Now all we needed was the old western music and some tumbleweed and we could get it on.

"You guys are going to need a serious shower after this." Raising up my guns, I opened fire on the team, covering them in a thick red liquid. Once my guns had run out of ammo, I turned and ran all the way out of the gym and towards the school’s main doors, my maniacal laughter echoing after me. Shouts from the team and footsteps could be heard following close behind me.

When I got outside, I frantically looked around for my ticket out of there. Finding no way of escape, I dove into a bush and hid behind it. Peeking over the bush, I watched silently as the team came outside and searched around for me. After a while, they gave up and hopped in their cars driving away.

Whipping out my phone, I texted Eric to come to the north side of the parking lot to pick me up. When a familiar black corvette pulled up to the school, I jumped out of the bush and climbed into the car. When I saw Eric's red stained face, I couldn't hold back the laughter that bubbled up inside of me.

"Are you done yet?"

Brushing away a few tears and catching my breath, I nodded at him. When he had assured that I had stopped laughing, he pulled out his phone and began texting while occasionally glancing at the road. Staring at him in disbelief, I reached out to grab his phone from him, but he held it out of my reach.

"Don't text and drive! Do you know nothing about safety," I hissed.

"Don't worry Brook I do this all the time."

I shot him a worried look, but he waved it off and continued texting until we stopped at a house.

Piling out, we walked passed a bunch of trash sprawled on the yard, and towards the front door. The door was unlocked, so we eased it open and walked in. My eardrums were immediately drowned by the song Shots as we made our way to a couch.

The place was packed. People were cramped up in corridors trying to get in each other’s pants while others stood up half drunk. Fortunately, I managed to avoid all of these obstacles. Unfortunately though, I had somehow managed to lose Eric in the crowd. Lying on the couch, I propped my feet up on to a coffee table and closed my eyes, trying to drown out the party.

I had finally succeeded when my lounging was interrupted by bodies falling back on the couch beside me. Grumbling, I looked up to glare at the trespassers. My glare quickly turned into fear as I glanced up. It was the basketball team and they didn't look too happy.

"Hey shortie, you didn't think we would leave you hanging after what you did, did you?"

With that, Shawn, Eric and a bunch of other players on the team scooped me up and began carrying me through the house. People stopped what they were doing and began watching the sceptical. I screamed and shouted for them to let me go, but they just laughed in response. When we got outside, I spotted a huge pool in the middle of the yard. They wouldn't dare. As they turned and changed their course, I knew they would.

"C'mon you guys," I yelled frantically, "there's no need for this. Just put me down and we can talk this out ok? Let's be mature here."

"Sorry Brooklyn," Eric said while raising me up higher, "but this is as mature as it gets."

"You trait--" Before I could finish, I was tossed into the huge body of water. When my body first hit the water, I felt a cold, sharp impact. My breath grew shallow as I tried to warm myself up.

Getting an idea, I began to bob around in the water. It soon became more violent and I was thrashing around and waving my hands in the air.

"Help! Hel--I can't swim!!"

Seeing a hand reaching out for me, I grabbed it. Just when the person was about to pull me out, I tugged onto the arm. A splash could be heard next to me and when the head surfaced next to me I smirked.

"You're in for it now shortie."

“Bring it Shawnie boy.”

As Shawn and I began having a water fight in the pool, the rest of the basketball team joined in. Pretty soon, there was an intense water fight going on in the pool and anyone who walked near it either got splashed to death or dragged in.

Once we finished our water fight, we walked out of the pool, our clothes soaking wet, and headed inside. Inside, we walked up the stairs and found a closet full of towels which we used to dry ourselves up.

With a towel wrapped around my neck, I headed for the stairs, but stopped when I saw Shawn and Cy-Cy standing at the front door. They looked like they were in the middle of a heated argument. Their voices were beginning to rise as they opened the door and headed outside.

That’s strange, when did Cy-Cy get here? Bounding down the stairs, I swung the front door open to see a car reversing out of the driveway. Closing the door behind me, I memorized their license plate before following their car quietly on foot.

-----------------------------