Mine | Jaemin Fic #1

Start from the beginning

You turned around, suddenly feeling defensive. "What—no! It's just...I don't want to date anyone right now."

"That's the thing, you never want to date anyone," Young-Mi huffed in frustration. "I've watched you turn down a bunch of guys in high school and you still do it. All because of him!"

"It's not that big of a deal, Young-Mi-yah."

But the girl persisted. "I'm sorry to break it to you (Y/n)-ah. But he clearly hasn't shown any interest in you over the years, and he probably never will."

Your nails dug into the fabric of your leggings. The truth hurt a lot more said out loud.

"Come to your senses, Lee (Y/n). It's time to move on."

The thought of it felt like someone was stealing your breath. You've been stuck in this one-sided love for far too long now. No matter how you tried, you couldn't seem to get over him. But Young-Mi was right, you were never going to get anywhere with this.

"I'll think about it," You mumbled before getting up to go wash up for the night.

✰ ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ― ―・

Jaemin heaved a small sigh as he gave Hyejin a polite smile when she waved to him. Before she could approach him, he quickly passed by. She had asked him to have lunch with her the other day, but he couldn't exactly say no. After that one time, he was more careful to leave first before she could get to him.

"You dodged that one pretty fast." Jeno walked up beside him. "You're really not interested in her, huh?"

Jaemin chuckled, "Hyejin is nice. But..."

"You still have feelings for (Y/n)?"

Jeno didn't even need to ask. He was the only one in the friend group who knew about the boy's "unrequited" love for you. Solely because Jeno said it was so "obvious," and that the others were fools to not notice.

"Yeah..." Jaemin nodded sadly.

The truth was, Jaemin has been in love with you since that time you helped him out in middle school. You were always the better student and took it upon yourself to tutor him in whatever subject he was struggling in. Even though you acted like you didn't care about others, Jaemin knew you were a kindhearted person.

"Don't you think it's about time you let her know?"

"It's not that easy." The boy stuffed his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

The other truth was that Jaemin was afraid, always has been. Perhaps, you were the most precious person to him. He didn't want to start something with you, only for it to not work out and make things awkward between the two of you. Being your best friend at the most, was the safest place for him to be at.

"If (Y/n) knows my true feelings, I could lose her," He stated.

Jeno sighed and swung his arm around his friend. "Well, I think there's a high chance she likes you back. And who knows, maybe you guys are soulmates or something."

Jaemin laughed and parted ways from Jeno before heading to the cafeteria. A smile crept on his lips when he saw you eating some yukgaejang. He was getting worried because you haven't been coming to lunch lately. You were always the type to prioritize academics over your health.

"Whatcha looking at?" He asked as he sat down.

You glanced up from your phone. "Young-Mi is trying to set me up on a blind date."

"With who?"

He crossed his arms and looked over your shoulder at the Instagram profile you pulled up. Jaemin instantly didn't like the idea of this.