“Shadz?” 

“Go protect the kids for me” Shadow grunted out coughing into his arm, since when did he get sick? He thought. Sonic only nodded leaving a kiss on his partner's forehead before running off into the battle. 

Shadow could only groan as someone appeared in his vision, expecting it to be Rouge he turned his head away only to gasp when someone grabbed his chin in a fierce grip. Crimson met a purple grey set of eyes, “Shadow, listen I don’t have much time, you must destroy the crimson fire crystal and get your powers back before Infinite goes through with his plans. I am only helping you because Arlo’s life is on the line but so is Espio’s. I want you to do something for me. Unleash a chaos blast but at the last second disappear with Sonic to the Chaos Realms. There you will find the rare crystal and you will find Infinite’s family. Ask them for the black chaos emerald. From then on, it will all make sense. Use it on Infinite’s family, I know Sonic won’t like it but the only way to get Infinite to return to his coffin is through his son. I’m sorry I have to ask you of this but, he has trapped me in the same chaos realm. Protect Arlo for me please as I will continue to protect your children from afar, especially Silver since he is Infinite’s undoing. We both know it, it's either Silver or Infinite, your choice” Mephiles explained, Shadow could only nod as his eyes glowed an angry black. Mephiles smirked, “Once you are reunited with the seven chaos emeralds plus your own, you will have your powers back. Can I trust you with this information Ultimate Lifeform?” Mephiles grunted out trying not to flinch at the pain from the connection. Shadow only nodded, Mephiles smirked disappearing from view and where he was now stood a very worried Sonic. 

“Shadow! What did he want?!” Sonic shouted which made Shadow flinch from the sudden loudness. Shaking his head, Shadow climbed to his feet and uttered one sentence to them all, “Do you trust me?”. Team Dark looked in his direction and nodded as did many of the freedom fighters. “Grumpy, that’s a sceptical question let me think about it…hmmm?” “Rouge!” “Fine fine! Keep your quills in, yes I trust you. Happy!” Rouge teased using Knuckles as a slingshot. 

“Good, get behind me then” 

Those five words made many of them scramble to do as ordered, there were few who looked at him like he was crazy, one of them being Silver but a quick tug from Blaze had the white hedgehog complying. Oh how Shadow so needed to speak with him. Espio was currently in the mid battle with Infinite so Shadow had to separate the two before he caused more family issues. 

“KILL HIM!” Black Doom roared at Dr Eggman as Shadow’s eyes turned pure black and the red crimson disappeared into a more of a white colour, he glared at his father as Espio hit the ground hard. Doom smiled ready to hit the chameleon with all he had when Arlo suddenly appeared using his own powers against Doom, shocking both the alien and jackal. Infinite was furious when Doom’s body hit a nearby structure and didn’t reappear. Arlo moved to help the groaning Espio who looked at his rival with curiosity but it was against law, chameleons had these laws for reasons that were a secret. However, since their focus was on each other they failed to see Infinite powering up a blast and throwing it in their direction. Arlo looked up only to gasp, he scooped Espio the smaller one of the two into his arms and placed his back towards the blast. One thought ran through his head, ‘Protect the Prince’. Espio groaned at the sudden movement, looking up he finally realised who Arlo was to him. The navy chameleon smiled down at him waiting for the impact. 

The freedom fighters watched in fear as the blast aimed for their chameleon. 

“ESPIO!” Mighty screamed trying to run over only for Shadow to punch him which shocked them all especially when they caught sight of his black eyes and his change in appearance. 

“Trust me” Two words followed by silence was enough to shut everyone up. Shadow smirked, dropping his gun on the floor as well as something else. Rouge gasped, noticing it to be a picture of him and Maria, the bat scooped both items up knowing the ultimate lifeform had a plan and didn’t feel like losing the two items. “Rouge put them with the red chaos emerald. Trust me” Shadow said with a smile as he pulled out the cracked green one. 

“Shadow! It’s cracked” Sonic exclaimed as Shadow grabbed his hand and ran for the chameleons, the speedster had no choice to follow. Their children watched in interest, wondering what was going on.

“I know” Shadow grunted out, “But, this is for Silver”. Hearing his middle childs name, Sonic looked up in shock, “What’s going on?” Sonic asked again, “Please just trust me” Shadow gritted his teeth as he used manners. Sonic only nodded, tightening his grip on his husband. 

At the exact moment the ball of energy hit the chameleons, two brave hedgehogs stepped in the way and a cry of ‘CHAOS BLAST’ knocked Infinite the Jackal back many paces to the point he fell out of the sky and landed unconscious by the side of Dr Eggman who smiled down at his companion scooping him up and making a break for it. Black Doom made sure to safely retreat, swearing to end his son and reunite with Eclipse, the one who somehow revived him. 

A whisper reached only a few ears as the blast died down and the words known as, ‘Chaos shatter’ teleported two hedgehogs off into a world very far away from Emerald Hills. The blast left quite a big smoke cloud as the freedom fighters ran for where their friends were. Mighty shoved to the front only to gasp, Espio was unconscious in the arms of the one known to them as the enemy Arlo who looked up in shock at them all. Knuckles was quick to restrain the chameleon who didn’t fight back while Mighty scooped his partner up. Violet ran for her parents trying to wake her mother up via a mind link however Espio remained in the land of dreams as he visualised Shadows message to him. According to Tails it would take an hour or two for Espio to awaken since he was running on fumes. Thankfully, it was good news but it also meant they had a ‘prisoner’ in a sort of sense. 

“Hey where’s Sonic and Shadow?!” Blaze shouted looking around for the two hedgehogs only to stumble upon a symbol in the ground, “What does that mean?” Silver asked, pointing out the strange symbol. It looked like a chaos emerald with a crack in it followed by what looked like a snake coiled within the cracks. 

“I don’t know, I’ve never seen something like that” Knuckles said, as he held Arlo tightly to him. The chameleon hadn’t moved an inch which was surprising to the others. 

“Well that’s useless” Rouge pointed out earning herself a look from the guardian, she only held her hands up turning to Omega who didn’t even look to be online but when his head tilted she knew he was listening. “Any ideas?” “No”. Rouge smiled hearing the bluntness from Shadow must have got into Omega’s coding. 

“Tails?” 

“I've never seen anything like this, it’s interesting…” Tails said while leaning forward.

“I wouldn’t touch it” an unfamiliar voice broke through their topic of conversation.

All heads whipped around to see that Arlo had spoken, the navy chameleon looking off to the side or more in particular where Espio was in Mighty’s arms. The armadillo glared at him. 

“No one was asking you!” Vector angrily yelled.

“What do you mean?” Cream asked out of curiosity as she stroked Cheese’s head. 

Arlo didn’t say anything as he looked off to the side matching a glare with Shade who seemed to get the message, all eyes watched as she walked over to Espio and ignored Mighty’s growl. She placed two fingers on Espio’s head and gasped. “Shadow, left us a message. But, what I can decipher from the two lizards is Shadow and Sonic have entered the shattered realm” Shade said as her eyes glowed gold only to revert back to her yellow/red ish eyes.

Stick around for another chapter on its way soon! ;-)
Thank you for any comments, votes and to all those who read this book - I hope I am doing a good job! :)