Chapter 44: Voluntary Exile in the Earth Kingdom

Start from the beginning

Iroh and Chiara left for the market while Zuko sat quietly and patiently waited for their return.

----------------------

It was not long before they returned, and they all changed into clean new clothes.

"This fits good," said Zuko, impressed that Chiara's measuring technique worked so well.

He held a rolled up canvas out to her, and after untying their wedding ribbon, she unrolled it.

"Aww. I'm so glad you got this," she said gazing down at their wedding portrait.

He leaned down and kissed her, and then taking the canvas, he rolled it up and put it away.

"They have a good selection of food down there," said Iroh as they started walking towards the market together leading their ostrich horses.

As they neared the village Zuko stopped and pulled out a cloak with a hood in order to cover himself to hide his scar.

"I hate having to wear this thing," he grumbled.

"Would you like to go blind?" Chiara asked him.

He looked at her curiously. "What?"

"You can cover just your eyes and we'll lead you through the market like you're blind, but we can fix it so you'll still be able to see a little bit."

"That's a good idea, Zuko," said Iroh.

He sighed. "Fine."

Chiara cut off part of her apron from her old clothes, and then she carefully placed the strip over his left eye and part of his right.

"This is so humiliating," he moaned.

"Think of it as an adventure relying mostly on sound and touch," said Iroh optimistically.

She tied the fabric fixing it so it covered most of his scar, and she carefully pulled his hair out around it to be even more concealing. She waved her hand in front of him.

"You can see a bit?" she asked.

He nodded as he was able to see with his right eye. He gave more money to Iroh to make the purchases, and then Chiara took his left hand and placed it on her elbow and they headed towards the market.

"We'll use our old names, Lee and Lin," said Iroh.

"Fine, Mushy," said Zuko dryly making Chiara giggle.

-----------------------

After leaving their ostrich horses at an animal enclosure, they strolled through the food sector of the marketplace.

"Is there any fruit you'd like?" she asked Zuko as they walked among carts of produce.

"Do they have mangos?"

A merchant held out a mango. "For him."

Chiara took it and placed it in Zuko's hand.

"How does this feel to you?"

He was thinking about the feel of her hands on his as he cradled the fruit.

"Feels good."

She looked at the merchant. "My husband likes this one."

Zuko felt chills through his body hearing her call him her husband, and he was surprised by how she said it so naturally.

"What about this?" asked the merchant holding out another one.

Chiara took it and placed it in his hand, but she was not touching him now as she was holding the other fruit out to Iroh who was carrying a basket.

"Is that one okay?" she asked Zuko.