Paying no heed to his mother's words he continued dragging her with him, his anger getting the best of him, "Chodein mujhe!"
(Leave me!)

"Amrit." His mother yelled his name again, following them upstairs.

Turning to her, "Leave us." He said, shutting the door close as he left her hand harshly.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" She asked, clutching her wrist in pain, blinking her eyes rapidly to stop the tears.

"What is wrong with you?" He asked, raising his voice.

Ignoring his words, she marched towards the door to leave the room but he just pulled her back by grabbing her elbow, making her stand infront of him, keeping her in her place.

"Did you know how I felt when I learned my wife wants to divorce me through a fucking outsider?" He asked, his piercing gaze meeting hers through the mirror.

His one hand was resting on her stomach, keeping her close to him while the other one touched her head. "This-" He moved the finger from her head to her heart. "-this-" He pulled her closer from his other hand. "-your whole fucking being, belongs with me, get that?" He asked, raising her chin to make her look in the mirror.

She should push him away, she should be telling him how much she hates him but she found herself nodding.

"Words." He pressed.

"Yes," She mumbled.

"What's your name?"

"Roop."

"What's your name?" He asked again, pronouncing each word clearly this time.

"Roop Mehrotra."

"Roop. Amrit. Mehrotra." His jaw tightened, "Say it."

"Roop Amrit Mehrotra." She breathed out, trying to get away from him but his grip was firm.

"Right, and it's going to stay just like that." He whispered in her ear, "No one can change that, not even you." He added, leaving her.  She didn't bother to stop the tears flowing down her face.

His eyes fell on the broken mangalsutra on the vanity table, "Why?" He asked, his jaw clenching as he noticed the absence on her face and neck.

"Dam ghut raha tha." She replied, looking at him through the mirror.
(I was feeling suffocated.)

He walked away from there, coming back a few minutes later. She just stood there, letting him do whatever he wanted to.

She didn't stop him when he pulled the zipper of her dress down, letting it pool around her legs, two seconds later the dress was replaced with a maroon-colored anarkali suit.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting my bride ready." He replied, continuing whatever he was doing, getting done with the clothes, he kicked the old dress near the bin, making her sit on the stool.

Her eyes followed his actions as he took out a face wipe, wiping the tears along with her face, his heavy breathing giving away his attempt to control the rage building inside him.

Taking a pinch of sindoor in his fingers, he filled her partition before walking to the bed and picking up a velvet box.

Pulling the lid open, her eyes fell on a beautiful mangalsutra, it was so much more beautiful than the previous one, the small design was eye-catching and elegant.

Clasping it around her neck, he murmured softly, "My wife."

Picking up the lipstick he often saw her wearing, he applied it on her lips, painting her lips blood red. Finishing off with a black dot behind her ear, he threw the old piece of jewelry into the box, closing it.

"Happy now?" She asked once she was sure he was done.

"Yes, I am."

"Did you sign a new deal? For six more months? How big was the loan this time?" She asked, getting up from the chair, "How many repayments do you have? Boht bade business man hain na aap, kitno ko loans diye honge...aur kitni biwiyan hain aapki? Wahin jaate hain apni business trips par-"
(You're a big businessman, you must have given loans to many people...how many wives do you have? That's where you go on those business trips-)

"Roop." His voice came out as a warning.

Opening the drawer, she threw the divorce paper on him, "Kardiya sign, jaiye...aur haan, apne ilzaam dusro par daalna chodh dein, itni hi problem thi na to face to face bol dete, wo natak ki zarurat nahi thi...sign karne se mana nahi karti mai." She gulped, her emotions taking a toll on her as she threw the dupatta he set on her shoulder a few moments ago.

(I signed them and one more thing, stop putting accusations on others, if you had that much problem with me, you should've said that face to face, the act wasn't needed. I wouldn't have refused to sign)

"Stop talking like you're the victim here-"

"I am! I will act like a victim here because I am! Mazaak bana kar rakh diya hai meri life ko, koi loan ki repayment me mujhe kisi anjaan aadmi ko de raha hai, koi apni deal ke liye mujhse 6 mahine ke liye shadi kar raha hai, batayein mujhe, victim nahi to kya bolun khudko?" She asked, her voice breaking as she pushed him away from her.

(I am! I will act like a victim here because I am! My life has been made a joke, someone is giving me away to an unknown person as a loan repayment, Someone is marrying me for 6 months for his deal, tell me, if not a Victim then what should I call myself?)

"You are not a loan repayment." He gritted out, pulling her closer, hearing a sarcastic chuckle coming from her.

"Insaan ko itna bhi pagal na banayein ki sach or jhoot me fark karna bhool jaye."
(Don't manipulate a person so much that he forgets to differentiate between truth and lie.)

"You. Are. Not. A. Repayment." He repeated, pressing each word clearly.

"Did you not marry me for a deal?" She asked, looking directly into his eyes, waiting for him to lie again.

He didn't reply, tightening his jaw as he looked away, "Did this marriage not have an expiry date? Did my father not take a loan from you? Tell me, why are you silent now? Bohot josh me kheech kar laaye the na wahan se, ab chup kyun hain?" She asked, her voice raising with every single word.
(You dragged me from there with a lot of enthusiasm, why are you silent now?)

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

"What?"

"Do you trust me?" He repeated.

"At this point? No, I don't, kya pata kab sach keh rahe hain kab jhoot." She replied, stepping back from his hold.
(At this point? No, I don't, who knows when you're saying the truth or when you're lying.)

...
So the most awaited chapter of the book is here.
Hope it wasn't cringey...