Chapter 3: The Return Home

After hours of driving, we finally made it to the outskirts of the city.

Ah civilization. Though I liked camping, I was a city kid at heart.The city's skyline started to rise bringing with it a single skyscraper. That was our signature landmark. Everyone who saw it understood where they were. The sign said it.

"Welcome to the city of Beach Shores,

Where the waves of change flow ashore every day."

After driving past the sign, we continued uphill and the vast city turned into a suburb. On the sidewalks were people walking and kids laughing and playing. Our neighborhood was usually quiet, relaxing, and everyone knew each other by their first names. Now, I haven't even gotten to the best part about Beach Shores, as the name suggests, yes, we are a coastal city. As we came to the top of the hill, there it was, the everlasting ocean that sparkled in the sun. I could see sails far out to sea. Pure, white clouds sat on the horizon, and a pier stretched out from the shore. I could say that we had it good and I wouldn't be lying, not even for a second.

I saw our house coming into view. Mack pulled off to the side and parked. It wasn't a mansion or anything. It was a simple piece of property. Two stories with white paint and a blue trim, a garage, a white picket fence with a cemented path heading up to the porch. If you could see our home, I could point to the room I shared with Sam.

"We're home. Everyone out!" he stated.

Mack jumped out, made his way to the bed of the truck and started to untie the ropes that held the camping equipment together. This time he was sure to quickly untie it. I saw the front door of our house open and there was my mom and dad. My dad had a rugged frame, wearing glasses. Out of all of us, I was the only one who inherited his eyes. While Sam, Jason and Mack had brown eyes, I had green ones.

My mom had her brown hair tied in a ponytail. Her fair skin was a perfect contrast to my dad. Like my Dad, her eyes were also colored though they were blue as opposed to his green. Obviously, none of us had blue eyes, though if we had a sister there was a good chance she would've had blue eyes. At least that's what I think.

"Hey, fellas," said Dad.

"Hey," said Mack as the others unloaded the truck.

"Everything go smoothly?" Mom asked. She always had this hint of worry in her tone. Guess it came with the job of being a mother. Then again, she had four teenage boys who constantly played pranks on each other, so maybe it was just her natural state.

I walked over to the porch to set my luggage down.

"It was fine," I said, "though you need to tell Sam to lighten up. He's always talking about school."

As I walked back to the truck I passed Sam who glared at me intently, carrying his luggage to the porch. Yes, I meant for him to hear that. I jokingly grinned back.

The garage door opened and we all started hauling the camping equipment into there. The garage wasn't any place to park a car. We mainly used it for storage and was, on occasion, a workspace for my dad. My mom and dad mainly parked in the driveway.

"We really need to choose a day where we can clean this place out," said Dad.

"Yeah?" Said Sam.

"I don't know, I think we can fit a lot more in here," said Jason.

Dad laughed and closed the garage door as they went back to the house. We hugged our mom as she kissed us back. Mack locked the doors to truck as we went inside the house