27 ¦ The "Sun King" from France

Start from the beginning

Grinning, I threw the firecracker at his feet. Frightened, he jumped back and dropped Sara to the ground. Quick as the flash itself, Ni-ki grabbed Sara and pulled her to safety.

We all stared in shock and Ni-ki was about to continue fighting when a window of house #2 opened. A fat and older man, who could easily have come out of my history book, stuck his red head out of the window and yelled in a French accent: "For god's sake and by my late great-aunt Jeanette! What are you naughty brats up to again?"

Irritated, all heads turned to the open window and the vampires' eyes discolored, back to their natural color.

What kind of freak was this? He was gayer than Louis the Sun King! The old man just stared us down. I guessed that was the manager of House No. 2.

Blondie cleared his throat. "Oh, um, Antoine w-we were just raving a little too loud." Antoine? All right, we were over.

The way I assessed the old man, we could do push-ups until morning, or scrub the mansion clean with our toothbrushes.

Antoine a.k.a Sun King roared hysterically, "Do you think I'm retarded Jisung!? If you start another stress with our guests, it sets what à la carte. Then I'll show you the aggressiveness of the French, enfants terribles!" The Sun King was somehow sympathetic to me now. He scolded them properly and then sent the boys inside.

Then he looked at us kindly and grinned with his chubby face, "Je suis désolé. I apologize so much for the boys. Oh, I am inconsolable. Next time, let me know quicker. After all, I know their argumentativeness. Then I'll sort it out." Okay, and already the guy was creeping me out again with his abnormally high-pitched giggling.

"I don't think it would be a good idea to spend the night here tonight. That would probably just lead to more complications. After all, it's only 6 pm. Can you still make it home, little extern?" He looked questioningly at Sara while resting his head on one of his hands.

Sara nodded and beeped, "Um.... yeah, sure." That's when I interjected, "Of course, we can take her home two at a time if you give us permission, Sir Antoine."

The latter replied, chuckling, "Sûrement! All for the safety of our dear students!" All lies!

That's why the boarding school used the human students as a lure for Inferiors. Hmmm, exactly. He lied right to my face, the little Frenchman. The Inferior attacks had increased rapidly lately. I wonder how long this would continue. Fortunately, training had prepared me for emergencies.

Lily said a heartfelt goodbye to me and Sara while apologizing x number of times and feeling embarrassed for her roommates. I would have been, too, if I were her. Who would be proud of someone who behaved like Blondie did?

Antoine called out, "Bring the little extern home safely and be careful! I'm going on to watch Les Misérables." We also said goodbye to Antoine.

"Au revoir, mes petits amis." He purred after us, while he had already disappeared from the window. Okay, he was really strange in his own way. In a French way.

After taking my things back to house #1, we got Sara safely back to the village. As we stood in front of her red brick house, where her family's apartment was located, she hugged me goodbye and looked indecisively at Ni-ki. He grinned cheekily when he realized that she didn't know how to say goodbye to him and held out both arms to her.

Uncertainly she pushed her glasses right, but then hugged him briefly goodbye and said: "Thank you both for saving me earlier. If it wasn't for you two, I probably would have been bitten."

Smiling, we waved goodbye. Friends did that sort of thing. She disappeared behind her front door and Riki and I stood alone on the wide deserted street.

Riki looked at me and said, "Well, tired already?"

I replied truthfully, "No, as if. The night is still young. So come on!" I turned and walked back towards the boarding school, however, Riki abruptly pulled me in the other direction and said, "Not so fast, little one, I won't let you go that easily. You're coming with me tonight!"