FOUR. The New Tsakarem

Rewonay's steps were light as she walked on the thick fabric bridge linking the Marui pods together. It sunk under her weight and rose again, making her slightly skip as she advanced. Her long hair bounced when she walked gracefully, heading to the Sully Marui. With a basket made of weaved leaves in her hands, she made sure none of the fresh fish that was inside slid out of it while she readjusted the net bag full of fruit over her shoulder. As she kept walking, she could hear the voices of the Omaticayas becoming clearer. The children's voices were the loudest, especially Tuk's who seemed to be whining about something Lo'ak did while Kiri was siding with the baby of the family.

"It was my Spartan fruit!" Tuk cried. "I wanted to eat it!"

"Come on, there are others," Lo'ak sighed while rolling his eyes.

"But it's that one I wanted!"

"Then you should have eaten it sooner!"

"She was saving it for last," Kiri intervened. "She always does that, and you know that,"

"Yeah... well, I forgot!"

"Stop bickering for nothing and finish eating," Neytiri scolded both her kids.

And just by the sound of her firm voice, they knew not to go against her words. Rewonay herself felt chills of fright running down her spine. It reminded her of the times her mother would scold her. Even if she was now in the period of her life when she was more prone to defy and rebel against the figure of authorities, even though she knew it would get her in trouble.

Pushing the thought away, Rewonay peaked into the Marui. The Sully family was sitting together, eating their first of the day. Jake Sully was at the back with Neytiri beside him. She was cutting some fruit for Tuk who was humming a tune while swaying her body from left to right. Kiri was beside her, eating her breakfast in silence across from Lo'ak who was pouting. On Jake's left side was Neteyam who was, just like Kiri, focusing on savoring his food.

"Um... Excuse me,"

At the sound of this familiar melodious voice, Neteyam's focus was completely shaken. His food was the last of his worries as he snapped his head up, his eyes landing on Rewonay who was standing by the entrance of the Sully Marui. This reaction of his did not go unnoticed by his mon who discreetly smiled, amused, before turning to the daughter of the Metkayinas' Olo'eyktan.

"Rewonay!" Tuk cheered with a bright smile. The Metkayina returned the smile with pleasure. It was strange how a single smile from her could make Neteyam feel giddy. He felt so stupid to react in such a way but he had no control over it. His body reacted on its own.

"I came to give you this," Rewonay gestured to the basket of fish and the bag of fruits. Both Jake and Neytiri were a little surprised. After the not-so-lovely welcome they got from the Metkayinas and especially Ronal, they did not expect any act of kindness. Especially not from the daughter of the woman who was openly hostile to them. But little did they know, it was a gesture from Rewonay. She genuinely wanted them to feel comfortable. If they left their clan for a place so far away and so drastically different from what they had ever known, they must have their reasons. So Rewonay wanted to make it at least a little easier for them. "It's fish and fruits, specialties of the Metkayinas. It's... a sort of welcoming gift,"

Neytiri was the one who stood up and accepted the gift.

"Irayo (thank you)," she smiled. It did feel pleasant not to be treated like an outcast or an unable, ignorant being. Now, she quite understood how Jake had felt when he first joined the Omaticaya clan (though it was in a very different situation and for very different reasons). "It's very kind of you,"

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask me,"

It was not only out of kindness but also out of duty. As the daughter of the Olo'eyktan, Rewonay felt that she had to aid them. Not just because her father had told her to, but because they were now living in Awa'atlu. They were part of the village and Rewonay would come to the aid of anyone in the village.