THREE. The First Son of Toruk Makto

Rewonay had found Kiri playing with fish. The Sully girl seemed utterly amazed by them. They were swirling around her, following her every move. It was quite an impressive thing to witness. The animals seemed to be drawn to her. It was not a thing seen often. It was quite peculiar, in fact. But Kiri did not seem to realize it and seemed to be having fun. So much fun Rewonay felt quite bad to cut it short.

Still, the firstborn of Tonowari had to bring the Sully girl back to the shore. She and her siblings still had a lot to learn.

When Kiri noticed Rewonay, the latter gestured for her to return to the surface. Kiri seemed a little saddened but still obliged.

"You have a very good breathing capacity," Rewonay complimented when walked back to the shore, half of their body still in the water. Kiri smiled. The first genuine smile she had given a Metkayina. "Much better than your siblings. Did you swim a lot in the forest lakes?"

"It was the first time I swam this much actually,"

"Really?" Rewonay widened her eyes. Kiri nodded as she chuckled. She did not believe it was something that extraordinary. "For someone who dived for the first time, you have the breathing capacity of a Metkayina who has dived for years. That's impressive,"

Kiri's smile grew a bit wider. It felt good to be treated normally. It was a lot different from the moment they arrived in Awa'atlu and the girl was thankful to Rewonay for that.

"Kiri!" Tuk exclaimed with a big smile when she caught sight of her sister.

Kiri walked to her sister as Rewonay came to stand beside her siblings that were facing the Sully kids. When she had reached them, Ao'nung called the sea creatures. Their black and white dotted skin glistened under the sunlight.

"These are Ilus," Ao'nung informed. "If you want to live here, you have to ride,"

Both Tsireya and Rewonay then summoned an Ilu each as well. The youngest sister immediately went to Lo'ak, which amused Rewonay. It seemed Tsireya already had a favorite student. Ao'nung and Rotxo went to Kiri and Tuk who were the closest to them. So it left Neteyam for Rewonay.

The girl gestured to the boy to walk a bit away from the pairs beside them. A safety distance of a few feet was needed between each Ilu to avoid the risk of bumping which, for beginners, could end up being quite painful.

"Ilus are for the Metkayinas what Ikrans are for the Omaticayas, and what direhorses are for the Ulangis," Rewonay told him. "They will lead you wherever you need to go,"

Neteyam kept quiet and only listened to her melodious voice, his eyes fixed on the Ilu who snuggled against the petting hand of Rewonay.

"Come say hi," Rewonay smiled.

Neteyam was a little taken aback as he glanced back and forth between the Ilu and Rewonay. He seemed a little reluctant, on guard even as if expecting the creature to attack him anytime.

"Ilus are harmless creatures. He won't hurt you,"

Her words of reassurance and her soothing voice seemed to have worked as Neteyam finally resolved to come closer. Still careful, he lifted his hand and began petting the creature who snuggled closer to his hand. A gentle smile adorned Netayam's lips.

"See? Completely harmless," Rewonay smiled, which widened Netayam's.

"Yeah, they're safe. Totally different from Ikrans,"

"You've passed your Iknimaya, didn't you?" Rewonay asked, which surprised Neteyam a bit. He was not expecting her to start a conversation but Rewonay genuinely wanted the Sully kid to feel accepted. If they were to stay, then they were Metkayinas. "I saw you had your own Ikran,"