Chapter Four

Remus has been awful quiet about his plan to prank James. I'm not sure if it is a good or a bad thing. I would say he has forgotten but I know that is not true. That's practically impossible. The boy is just as rotten as his friends.

I would be lying if I said classes have been going well. They have been hellish of recent and I don't know what to make of it yet. I'm used to school work coming easily. I've spent more time in the library than usual stressing over the little decline in my grades. I'm working on my potions notes when the chair in front of me squeaks against the stone floor then creaks under the weight of someone.

"I haven't seen much of you this week."

I shrug and look up at my brother.

"I have been busy. I've piled on the classes this year and it is more than I expected." I start to explain. "Slughorn has already moved us to more complex potions and I just- I don't understand it."

James sighs and pulls my book from in front of me. "Well for starters, if you mix these together you're going to blow something up."

I lean over and glare down at the page, "That's what Slughorn told us to do."

James gives me a look and shakes his head, "I'm sure. It's a lot of muscle memory. You can't rely on memorization for all of it."

I take the book back and lay my head down a top it. I've never been much good at things that I can't memorize step by step. James tells me it is because I lack the confidence I need to complete things and take risks.

"So how is your making friends thing going?" He asks softly.

I shrug my shoulders and I'm sure I look as defeated as I feel. I would like to use the excuse that I have been studying too much to talk to people but it is definitely because I have been avoiding the task.

"It's alright, ya know? You don't have to have a huge group or anything." He assures me.

I stand up and start packing my things into my bag. "I know that. I just want friends for myself. Not your friends. Something of my own." I sling my bag over my shoulder and pat him on the shoulder before walking out of the library.

************

A few hours later I'm tucked away in a little corner of the common room all alone curled up with a book. If I'm being honest with myself I'm already falling back into my old ways. It hurts more than I expected it to.

"You ready?"

I jump at the sudden disruption. My book falls to the floor with a thud causing a deep frown to settle on my features. "Jumpy aren't ya?" Remus teases as he glances down at my book on the floor.

"So I know what we should do to James. I figured you wouldn't want to do anything too cruel so I came up with something simple."

I lean down to pick up my book that dropped to the floor. I can feel his eyes follow me as I sit back up. I find my page again and mark it.

"Elaborate then."

He pauses for a moment like he is trying to get his thoughts together. Whether it is to explain things well or to put it in a way I will agree I do not yet know.

"James and Sirius will both leave for quidditch practice in about an hour. When they are gone I will let you in the dorm. The plan is to stick all of his furniture to the ceiling before he gets back. I have a few other things I want to do but that is the biggest thing."

The look on his face makes him hard to say no to. He has a spark of life in his eyes that lights his expression ablaze with mischief.

I bite my lip and fidget with my fingers. "I don't know it seems a bit extreme don't you think? He's awful tired too when he comes back from practice and he-"