042.

The idea of going into the great green wild is something that, for sure, would never have crossed Mr. Phillips' mind... Today's lesson is yet another example oh how different Miss Stacy is in comparison to their former teacher and not one students is heard to be complaining. While being forced to mind all the rocks lying around and the roots sticking out of the ground is an unavoidable part of it, having the class taken outside is actually pretty enjoyable. Fresh air certainly plays a part in helping the young minds work and, what matters more perhaps, it's a welcome distraction, with the Queens entrance exams approaching.

Besides, it's rather pretty, too. Marianne knows she should be paying more attention to Miss Stacy's words, but she cannot help raising her head every couple of steps, gazing up at the lovely nature around them, sun rays shining through the leaves up above. She's busy admiring the dream like atmosphere they create, but she finds herself waiting to hear Anne's voice whisper something about pixies hiding under the ferns or trolls that can turn their body into stone.

"Are you even watching where you're going?"

"Not really."

Marianne's honest answer pulls a warm chuckle from Gilbert's lips. He's walking right beside her, one hand buried in his pocket and the other gripping the strap of his bag. When she casts a glance at him, her smile as an answer to the sound, Marianne finds herself amazed by the rather nonchalant manner of his movements. Honestly, it's like he doesn't even need to pay attention... and even if he did not, she is sure, the boy would look just as pleasing to the eye when stumbling.

The famous smug look appears on his face when he catches her staring. And, while it causes warmth to erupt in her stomach before creeping up the back of her neck, Marianne actually likes to see sparkles in his dark eyes, his lips stretched in a grin.

"Admiring the view, I see?" Oh, and that teasing note in his voice.

"I certainly hope you mean the forest."

"Of course. What else?"

Raising her eyebrows with her features changing into a knowing look, Marianne wonders whether he's aware of how smooth he actually is. He must, she thinks sometimes. He must know, and he shows every sign of a willingness to use it. Usually, that is.

"...you wish to see the true genius and efficiency of Mother Nature, just look up at the trees above you," Miss Stacy says, leading the group further into the forest. "See the channels of space between the canopy? The mysterious phenomenon is known as 'crown shyness'. Each tree is aware of its boundaries..."

A few steps behind their back, Tillie 'trips', seizing the opportunity to seek support in the two boys walking beside her. Marianne thinks nothing about the obvious attempt, yet it is somehow puzzling that everyone seems so sensitive to the matter of touching... And it certainly is another thing for Miss Stacy to worry about - it's not easy to keep an eye on all the students, and she would most definitely be the one their parents choose to blame should something occur.

It's no wonder she stops her lecture mid sentence, reminding Tillie and the boys of the no touching rule, causing the others to laugh. Marianne truly wouldn't want to be in the teacher's shoes right now.

As the woman goes on talking about the trees, there is a gentle brush over Marianne's fingers. Barely a touch, really. Looking down, she can see Gilbert's hand moving away, back to its previous place around the strap of his bag. Allowing her eyes to travel up the boy's arm, she cannot help being surprised. Of course, having her hand held in his, or the other way around, has basically become an inherent element of the time they spend together - but now it's an obvious answer to Miss Stacy's words. Or their blatant disregard, rather.