012.

author's note

For the purposes of the next chapter, how do we feel about running into a burning building? Hot or not?

de-lia

🌼

Watching Anne leave for school this morning, Marianne really pitied her.

The way her shoulders were slouched was impossible to compare with the girl's enthusiasm on their first day. To be honest, it wasn't even near her attitude on the second day, when Anne was already worried about the other children not taking to her instantly. Now she really didn't want to go, in a manner that, to Marianne, seemed much like exaggerating, but who is she to judge?

Especially since she wasn't there to accompany her.

"Marianne, be some help, child, will you?"

Marilla's voice makes the girl focus back on the peeled potatoes before her. Thank God, the woman succeeded to catch her attention before she cut any of her fingers off.

"Sorry, Marilla. Just thinking about Anne, that's all."

"Well, I'm sure she'll be fine," emphasising the last word, Marilla disappears into the pantry. "She would have to go back to school sooner or later and there's no point letting her get used to staying here."

She says so, but it didn't stop her from not allowing Marianne to go as well. The girl still hasn't found herself to be fond of school in Avonlea, but she still asked to be allowed to leave Green Gables today. Pleaded even, not wanting Anne to be on her own as the other girl really seemed distressed about returning to that dreadful place.

Still, the final decision was up to Marilla, as always. And, this time, it was a very firm no.

Putting aside her prejudices, Marianne felt ready to go. The headache lingered for a few days after that unfortunate one, but it was all gone and forgotten now. At least to her, because Marilla decided to hold onto that. Reminding her niece that it wasn't that long since the last time the pain was that bad, she insisted that the attacks are becoming more frequent. In her opinion, it would be best to write to Edward and ask him to send a doctor to Green Gables, the one who tended the Belware family back in Charlottetown.

Marianne managed to persuade her out of that idea, but on the matter of returning to school with Anne Marilla refused to hear any more of it. And, knowing her the way she does, Marianne didn't even bother to argue further.

"To be honest, I thought you would be the one to be the most displeased," continues Marilla. "But here you are now, not even a word of complaint or silly tantrums on the mentioning of school. I must say, I'm quite proud of you."

Answering with a small smile, Marianne is interrupted by the door opening; Matthew unsure whether he should come in or not.

Marilla looks at her brother with furrowed brows. "What brings you inside this time of day? What is it you need, Matthew?"

"I..." Matthew plays with the hat in his hands before coming up with an acceptable answer. "I'll take a coffee."

"At three in the afternoon?"

"Or-or tea."

"Tea will be ready at four, just like every other day."

"Right, then."

Looking at Matthew once again, understanding the reason why he had come into the kitchen, Marilla assures him the way she did with Marianne a few minutes before. "She'll get used to school soon enough. Same as all the other children. Same as Marianne."