040.

Marianne never knew how precious small children can be until she first met Delphine.

It's not like she felt any kind of dislike towards them before. There were just no babies in the family, or within the closest friends of her parents back in Charlottetown. Of course, people would always talk about newborns or toddlers, as amusing as they are, but no one would think to bring them along to any kinds of social events... Therefore, even though Marianne would always find herself smiling upon seeing a parent with a child pass her on the street, admiring those chubby cheeks and small fingers emerging from the laces, she never really had a chance to actually care for a baby.

Now, with Bash and Mary being as in love as they are, it was no surprise when their daughter was born not so long after the wedding. Being so close with Gilbert and his family, Marianne was one of the first to meet the newest resident of the town and, the first time she laid her eyes upon that sweet little face, she fell completely in love with Delphine.

When Bash came knocking on their door this morning, asking for a favour regarding his daughter, Marianne didn't even hesitate. She could see Matthew found himself uncomfortable with the situation, not used to being in charge of such a small human being, so she was the one who took Delphine into her arms. Listening to Bash describe them Mary's current state with a worried face, she started rocking the baby back and forth gently.

Now, as the door closes behind the man, Marianne makes her way upstairs, a soft smile on her face.

"Careful now." Matthew watches her from the kitchen, his eyes full of concern. "Mind the steps."

"We are being very careful, aren't we, sweet girl?" Marianne allows herself to cast a quick glance at the baby in her arms before she takes the next step. "We'll just go see Anne and Marilla, no? Show them what a lovely guest we have today..." And she keeps mumbling, more to herself than Delphine, actually, until she reaches Marilla's bedroom. The woman and the redhead girl seem deep in conversation, although there is some tense air between the two of them as they fold the laundry. At first, they don't even notice Marianne coming in, until she opens her mouth, "Bash just stopped by. It seems Mary is quite sick and they don't want Delly to catch it, in case it's contagious..."

In an instant, Anne abandons her work. A few quick steps is all it takes for her to stand next to Marianne, waving her fingers in front of Delphine's face. "Hi."

The little girl reaches out to grab one of them.

"How long has Mary been sick?" Anne asks as they return downstairs.

"Uh... I don't-"

"It's her third day in bed," Marianne cuts in.

"What did Sebastian say, exactly?"

"Mind the baby."

"We know that part."

Seeing that Matthew's explanations lead to nowhere, Marianne steps in, gently placing the baby in the cradle. "She's got a fever," she says, turning to look at Marilla. "Bash said it's not wearing down and Mary's too weak to leave the bed still. If I understood him correctly, Gilbert is to fetch Dr. Ward to see her."

"I'm going over there, assess the situation. Sure and certain they'll need more help than just the baby."

Anne offers to accompany Marilla to see Mary before school. She's already in the process of emptying the contents of a bag Bash brought with him as she gives Matthew instructions. "Uh, in case Delly needs changing."

"Changing? Uh-"

"Milk, bottles, pot, stove, if she gets hungry."

"If she cries, it's always either a bottle or a nappy. Or both. But she'll probably just sleep."