A Family Reunion to Remember.

The clanging of the handcuffs unlocking were deafening as Father sat down in front of us, Thing jumped up on to the table, slamming his hand on to the glass, my Father doing the same, before Thing slid down the glass. Father looked up at us, "My little tormenta, my little cuchillo, how's your mother?"

"Devastated." I revealed.

"She hates you in orange." Wednesday stated.

"We followed Mother earlier today. We saw her laying a rose on a grave." I stated.

"It was the grave of the boy you are accused of killing, 'Garrett Gates.'"

"Why would she do that?"

Father sighed heavily, before starting his tale, "Garrett was infatuated with your mother. He mistook her kindness for interest, it began to turn into an obsession, until he was taken over by it and he began to stalk her."

"Why didn't you go the police?" Wednesday inquired.

"We did, but Garrett was from the most influential family in town. No one believed a couple of outcast kids against him. His father hated outcasts and he was furious about your mothers' allegations against his only son. It all came to a head, the night of the Rave'N dance, me and your mother had stepped out to catch our breath. He broke into the school that night, he was mad on jealousy, he was brimming in murderous intent. He was unstoppable, he took a blade and followed me to the roof, my entire life flashed before my eyes, I was afraid. When I saw the sword on the floor, my survival instinct kicked in, I took the knife and he came at me, it was all a tragic accident."

We sat in silence for a little while, if we were looking at it as anyone but his children, it was believable, but knowing him, his tells of lying were obvious to us, the stroking of his moustache and his comforting wink. We had been playing Russian roulette for years with him, he was no match for us.

"I just apologise I was a better father." He admitted.

"Can we skip the outward displays of affection?" Wednesday stated.

"Please." I asked, shifting uncomfortably.

"My apologise, I know they make you both uncomfortable." He apologised.

"How many fathers hand their daughters a fencing blade when she's five?" Wednesday asked.

"Both your sabre strikes were perfection." He defended.

"How many fathers encourage their daughters to shoot arrows at their uncle?" I inquired.

"Your aim was the best I had ever seen."

"Or teach their daughters to swim with sharks?" Wednesday asked.

"They found you both as cold bloodied as I do."

"The right way to flay a rattlesnake?" I suggested.

"They really do taste like chicken when prepared properly." He smiled.

"Our point is you taught us how to be strong and independent." Wednesday sighed.

"You taught us how to navigate ourselves in a world of treachery and prejudice." I added.

"You are the reason we understand how imperative it is that we don't lose sight of ourselves."

"So, as far as Fatherhood goes, I do believe I speak for both of us when I say you have been more than adequate." I finished.

"Gracias, Wednesday, Valdis." Father stated, his voice thick with emotion.

After visiting our father, we marched straight into the Sheriff's office, startling him, I sat down into one of the chairs and drowned out the conversation, my interests elsewhere, such as how I was going to free my father from jail without being locked up myself. My interest was piqued however when the Sheriff slammed the DNA results from the claw and rag on to the table, declaring that they were not a match. After that the Sheriff informed us that he knew Wednesday had been in the coroner's office, he just didn't want to prove it, because he knew we were an asset to him, whether he would admit it or not. We left the office, not feeling any better than we did when we entered the place, we bid him goodbye and sought back to Nevermore.