16

Month passed, seasons changed. Jinhai and Chunhua grew rapidly in ways that Childe and Zhongli were surprised with almost every day. They were weaned off Childe's milk (much to his relief) and were starting to eat semisolid foods. They went from having limited movement to rolling around and eventually beginning to crawl. The entire house had to be baby proofed, which they hadn't thought to do before. They also began to babble, saying and repeating single syllable "words." Childe found it extremely adorable, and would often baby talk back to them. Zhongli preferred to talk to them normally, as he had read it was better for their development.

Childe had returned, in a limited capacity, to work. His priority remained with his babies, but he and Zhongli had agreed for his mental health, he needed to return. They worked out their schedules to where the babies were never alone. It was tough, but they managed it.

It was almost the Lantern Rite, and the Harbor was bustling with energy. Childe was excited to have his children see the event for the first time. Last year around the same time, they were in Snezhnaya, so they didn't get to see the Lantern Rite.

Zhongli had suggested taking the opportunity to celebrate with the rest of their families, namely, the Adepti on Zhongli's side, and Childe's family on his side. Childe had sent a letter out to his side, and they were delighted to attend the festival, and to see their new additions to the family.

As for the Adepti, Zhongli planned a picnic in the mountains a couple days before the Rite began.

"Why do the Adepti live so far away?" Childe complained. "They could've come to our place, we have enough room."

Zhongli chuckled a bit. "I think the large gathering of Adepti in the Harbor world scare some people. It's more convenient for everyone this way."

"Can't we fly there? Or better, we could host everyone in our abode."

"I'm sorry, but we can't simply fly and expose my true form to the citizens of Liyue. Our abode cannot teleport whoever, whenever. So even if we hosted there, we'd still have to travel to the Jueyun Karst."

"I know! Just let me gripe a little!"

Scaling Mt. Aozang, they came to the pool of water near the peak, where many of the Adepti were already waiting for them. Cloud Retainer, Ganyu, and Xiao greeted the couple and their children.

After a few quick hellos, the babies were brought out of their carry basket. Jinhai was growing into almost a mirror image of his Papa, but with blue horns and green eyes. They looked like little emeralds, so big and sparkling with curiosity. Chunhua had her father's amber eyes and the gold tips to her hair, but the fiery orange locks that grew wildly from her head were undoubtedly from her mama. She giggled as Zhongli held her.

"The little ones have grown considerably since one's last meeting," Cloud Retainer said, observing the two.

"They're growing like like bean sprouts!" Childe joked, holding Jinhai closer to the Adeptus.

Jinhai cooed a little before grabbing at Cloud Retainer. Childe pulled him back before he could get a clump of feathers in his baby hands.

"I'm sorry, he's a little grabby," Childe said.

"One understands. In fact, one is reminded of Ganyu's younger years...she was quite a cute, round child," Cloud Retainer laughed.

Ganyu turned when she heard her name and blushed. "Cloud Retainer! You don't have to bring that up!"

"I remember her too," Zhongli added. "She loved to snack on Qixing flowers."

"My lord, not you too..." Ganyu said, defeated.