- 8. New Traveling Buddy

⨯⨯ WARNING ⨯⨯
this story WILL contain blood, violence, and murder!

if you are uncomfortable with any of the things above, do not read!

┈┈[ ] [ ]┈┈

"IN a family, the father had his designated role to fulfill, and the mother had hers in turn. The parents protect their eldest children, and the eldest protect them younger ones. This is carried out, no matter what, even at the risk of their own lives. The way I see it, if you don't understand your own role in this life, there's no reason in living it to begin with. As for you, I'll tell you your roles. It is to relinquish your younger sister to me and disappear. If you refuse, your only other paths are death. For you cannot defeat me." Rui explains, glaring at us.

"Hm? Isn't that contradictory though? You say it's the eldest's job to protect the younger ones, yet you want us to give you Nezuko? Also— just to say, I'm not their sibling. Tanjiro is Nezuko's only sibling, Im just here cause I got thrown here along with them." I explain, tilting my head at him almost mockingly.

"..." Rui says nothing else but a few spiderwebs get thrown my way, I quickly dodge them before landing back next to Tanjiro.

"Well that was unnecessarily rude..." i murmur to myself, putting my hand on my sword handle.

"Why are you still here then." Rui demands as I blink, looking at him confused.

"?"

"You could've left when you had the chance, after that demon girl protected you, I was obviously distracted. You could've ran, you stayed to protect her. Why?"

"Hm... because I care about Nezuko? Plus she protected me, I could at the very least do the same. Besides, I'm not a coward." I huff, frowning at him for assuming I would just run.

Despite the somewhat-relaxed tone of my voice, my hand remained firmly clenched around my sword handle to stop it from trembling.

"..."

I stared at him boredly as he doesn't say anything, an unreadable expression on his face.

This is nervewracking damnit.

Why isn't he saying anything?!

Say something it's making me nervous.

Fucking shit man...

Please let me get reincarnated somewhere peaceful next time!

"Why do you care for her so much if you aren't family?"

The question had taken me aback as I blink mutiple times in suprise, glancing towards Tanjiro who looked equally as confused.

"Uh... because I do? She... she's a really good friend, and even though she's not family, I can't bear the thought of letting her die. Besides I don't really associate the word 'family' with anything positive." I shrug, trying not to look as though I was literally terrifed.

Why did this go off the main plot damnit...

I don't know what's going to happen next and it terrifies me.