Memories [Maverick X Reader]

Magsimula sa umpisa

Tiny pieces gradually began to appear in the back of your mind, easily shoved aside when you'd needed to focus on whatever the task at hand was.

The pieces began to grow larger, becoming almost impossible to ignore, though somehow, you managed.

And now...

On whatever rainy night this just so happens to be...

The daunting recollections of the past are no longer able to be disregarded.

Instead, they push themselves upon your increasingly fragile state, the tears pricking your eyes as you sit there, silently allowing the sobs to wrack through your frame, a hand being raised to wipe the tears away.

"Great," You murmur aloud, your voice cracking slightly as it echoes back at you, sounding weak and pathetic.

Unlike anything you've heard from yourself in a long while.

Sniffling back the last few tears threatening to spill over, you grab the blanket off the foot of your bed as your socked feet hit the cool hardwood floor, the coolness of the wood almost a grounding feeling for your drifting, memory plagued mind.

Surely no one else is up at this hour... Maybe I'll try sleeping out in the common area...

Tucking the folded blanket up under your arm, you softly pad towards the door, wincing slightly as it squeaks, the dim lighting of the main hallway a rather homey feeling.

Socked feet hit the hallway as the door closes rather loudly behind you, your body almost carrying you on instinct at this point, your dazed, half-awake state not entirely trustworthy.

A glass of water should help, surely.

With your mind made up, you soon find yourself pushing your way into the common area's kitchen, beginning to rummage around, desperately attempting to keep the volume down.

The last thing you need is to wake somebody else at this hour...

You finally locate the cupboard where the glasses are held, reaching up and grasping one, setting it against the cheap false-granite countertop with a clack.

A clack that pulls you from your sleepy state slightly, just enough to realize that the pitcher of water you'd also grabbed previously is quickly overflowing the cup, the water rising to the very edge far too quickly for your liking.

Scrambling, you swiftly set the pitcher aside, raising the glass of water to your lips with trembling hands, taking a sip.

The cool liquid almost instantly helps to clear your thoughts, a heaviness beneath your eyes that you hadn't noticed until now gradually beginning to lighten.

You sigh contentedly, a certain type of ease filling you as you wordlessly leave the kitchen behind, the cup and blanket still with you, the large leather couch that faces the windows practically calling your name.

Sleep is lingering in the back of your mind now, the shards of past memories finally deciding not to bother you for the moment.

So, you seize the opportunity, pulling up the blinds covering the large, rain-stained windows before settling back into the plush couch cushions, spreading the blanket over your lap, setting your water aside and allowing your gaze to wander the dark scene, only illuminated by the warm glow of the lamp at your side.

And for a moment, all feels calm.

The quiet is almost comforting, the absence of the previous haunting thoughts a welcome sensation.

You could swear you're finally beginning to doze off again, the hands of sleep grasping at the material of the thin t-shirt you wear...

But then a new sound gains your attention.