2016-LA-22: Motion for Miscellaneous Relief

March 26, 2016

"I'm just going to curl up here in this incredibly uncomfortable airport chair and cry. Is that okay?" I asked Harry.

"No. Tell me again what they said," he insisted from the other end of the phone line.

"Mechanical issues. That's it. They delayed us from 11:30 to 12:17 to 1:43. So now it's time for me to cry. Our night...." I could feel the tears pressing at the back of my eyelids, draining down through my nose. Sniffling, I looked around at my fellow passengers, most of whom seemed unaffected by the deferment.

"Listen to me, Brains. This isn't the end of the world. If you want, I can call around and get you a first class seat on another flight with another airline. Just say the word." His voice was reassuring, and I contemplated taking him up on his offer.

Reluctantly, I sighed, "No. Not yet anyway. If they don't board us by 2:00, then you can pull the trigger, I promise. I don't want anything to get in the way of our time together."

"Deal," he agreed.

At 1:59, the desk attendant started loading the plane from the back first. I stood, tapping my foot, waiting for my row to be called. Finally I was on the plane, and I texted Harry. "Secured in my seat."

"Can't wait to have you secure in my bed," was the reply, and I smiled just before powering down my phone.

==========

The instant wheels touched the ground on the runway at LAX, my fingers were dialing Harry.

"Landed. Am I taking a Lyft or did you arrange for a car service?" I queried, grabbing my carry-on from the overhead compartment. Packing had been interesting, as I wasn't sure what to take for my weekend at Harry's. Naturally, I'd packed business clothes for my three days at the office, but I wasn't sure what Harry had planned for our time before Monday -- other than knowing not many clothes would be required. Or at least I hoped they wouldn't.

"No worries, Van. I'm on my way to pick you up now."

"You? That doesn't sound wise. What on earth are you thinking? What if someone sees us together?" I was whispering into my phone as I waved to the flight attendant and stepped onto the jetway.

"Ummmm....I was thinking that I haven't seen you in a thousand lifetimes." His voice had grown huskier with his response.

"Oh," I squeaked, as I followed the signs to the terminal exit. "Well, you'll see me soon. Are you already here?" Stepping outside into the bright California sun, I swiveled my head to look for him.

"Uh. Not exactly, Brains. I stopped for coffee, and someone took a picture with me there, and then someone notified the paps, and.....long story short, I'm circling around trying to lose the vultures." His disappointment came through loud and clear.

"Oh." My reply this time was tiny. Dammit. I just wanted to be with him.

"It's okay, Vanessa," his soft voice hummed across the line, "I think I've lost them, so I'll head there. Shouldn't be long. Grab a coffee or something."

Disconnecting, I wandered the terminal, working off my nervous energy with a brisk walk from my terminal over to another where I found a coffee shop. What if things had changed between us? We hadn't been in the same room for months. What if we weren't attracted to each other anymore? What if he was different? What if I wasn't the same? What if our chemistry had shifted with our FaceTime sex? The "what-ifs" chased me through the airport, and I found myself nearly panicked by the time my phone rang again.

"Which terminal?" his brusque voice came through the line, and my panties got wet just from the sound.

"Five is where I'm at now. I can come outside."