Eunoia's Assignment & Guidelines

[Eunoia's Assignment]

- You are given six days to read 2 chapters of your partner's book, or as agreed. At least 3 inline comments must be made in each chapter. The comments MUST be helpful in terms of addressing the author's work or they should express your opinions of the book. (Hit the plus in a circle button beside the paragraph to comment.) At the end of six days, report your statuses by commenting inline beside your name. In the following format: Status xx, Chapter xx done. (E.g. Status Bliss, Chap 3 & 4 done.)

- Take note because I will only state this once. To ensure your comments meet the standards, they should address certain aspects of the chapter, specifically detailing your opinions or thoughts about the way the author started the chapter, the relative plot/pacing of the chapter, the characters, or the ending of the chapter. If you need something to reference, you can refer to our guidelines.

- Use the tag #SGEBC when leaving these inline comments. They are compulsory. We are flexible in how you place it in your comment. You can place it at the end or at the beginning, it's up to you.

- The comments have to be at least 2 sentences long.

Examples of how you can comment using the tags:

❌ #SGEBC The descriptions are great! I like them!
This is firstly only one sentence long, and secondly, it is a reactionary comment.

✅ #SGEBC So far, I'm enjoying your chapter. The pacing is great and the words used are easy to follow. The way you weaved in your character's inner monologue is smoothly implemented. The details are good and I can imagine it all in my head!
This should be the way you comment. It addresses the pace of the chapter and also tells the writer that the character's monologue was done well.

❌ Oh that is such a unique idea! #SGEBC
Again one sentence

✅ I like this idea. It is unique even though it mainly stems from a cliche plot development. But I still enjoyed it because you've added your own twist to it- you made the FL and ML meet in an embarrassing situation which made them bond over it. #SGEBC
Specify why you like the plot twist in your comments. What about the plot that makes it unique?

❌ It should be went* not go. There's a typo here. Please change it.
Three sentences but they do not address the writing at all.

✅ #SGEBC Ookay, so let's break this down. In my opinion, this chapter still needs work, especially the descriptions. You only gave us a brief outlook such as "a cozy small cafe", but you could have given more details such as "a cozy small cafe located in the corner of that street, where it should be easily overlooked, yet it has a steady stream of patrons in and out". Then there is also a typo here. It should be went* instead of go.
This should be the way to comment. You address the area of improvement and suggest how it can be written. Typos and grammar mistakes are secondary comments and not quality comments.

- You are free to leave reactionary or casual comments. But it will not be counted under the club. You can also leave outline comments (they appear as numbers in a rectangle speech bubble at the bottom of the chapter), but again, they are not counted as part of the club.

- If you do not meet the requirements, you will receive a warning. And we will remove you from the club the next time it happens. This is important for book clubbers because you have the right to report your partners if their comments are not up to par.

[Reader-Only Assignment]

- Reader-Only assignment is only available for those who signed up using the Reader-Only Forms.

- Readers have a different assignment. They will read two chapters of the SF and leave +5 reactionary/casual comments and +1 helpful comment. Helpful comment as usual needs to address specific aspects of the chapter in terms of starting, plot, pacing, character and/or ending. Helpful comments can be commented inline or outline but it must contain your overall opinion and thoughts of the chapter.

- Reactionary and casual comments do not need the tag. When commenting helpful comments, use the tag #SGEBC.

- If that is not enough, we have a list of books that you can choose from. This is flexible and optional. You will be completing the same assignment but on any of the books listed. And this can only be done when you have completed the assignment on the Savant Featured book.

- Likewise, comment on your statuses before the deadline.

[Guidelines on how to leave Helpful Comments]

You can refer to the following guidelines on how to comment:

1) How does the starting paragraph makes you feel? Does it make you want to continue reading on or not? 

2) How was the character introduced in the chapter? Did it pique your attention? Could you relate a little to him/her/them?

3) How was this particular paragraph written? Was it highly descriptive? Which parts do you like the most?

4) How were the expressions of the story characters expressed? Were they told directly are shown to you? How do you think the author can improve on this aspect?

5) Does the author make any grammar mistakes, dialogue tags? You could point them out and also make sure you address the mistakes in a constructive manner!

6) How was the pacing of the chapter as a whole? Was it too fast for your liking or was it too erratic where the scene transits without warning? Was it just right? Or was it too slow and could be worked on?

7) How did the author end the chapter? Does it make you want to anticipate what comes in the next chapter? Maybe they could work on their cliffhangers?

In essence, you can state which part of the writing you like and which parts you hope your partner could add/improve on, and give suggestions so that they could consider when they read your comments and understand what their book looks like from your POV.

✧☽ 🟆 ☾✧