Chapter 13

What with the promise of being able to confide in Lupin about her furry little problem, her and Fred's secret rendezvous every other night, and the fact that Ravenclaw flattened Hufflepuff in their Quidditch match at the end of November, Matilda's mood took a definite up turn. This meant that Gryffindor were not out of the running for the Cup, although they could not afford to lose another match. Wood became repossessed of his manic energy, and worked his team as hard as ever in the chilly haze of rain that persisted into December.

The first December full moon came by quickly and left Matilda with nothing more than exhaustion and a few sore muscles, but those were relieved by a warm cup of tea in Professor Lupin's office as they talked about anything and everything – from his least favourite class to her full moons back at home. It was nice to have someone to talk to about her experiences, and it was even better that he could actually understand them.

Despite sharing nearly every class with Angelina, Matilda had yet to speak to the girl again. She decided she would approach her after the holidays were over, giving her enough time to prepare what to say and how to feel. It had proven difficult, avoiding Angelina, and often led to awkward silence in the dormitory and tense Quidditch practices, but it seemed the other Gryffindor got the hint and gave Matilda the space she needed.

Two weeks before the end of term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies.

The Great Hall was loud with chatter as students discussed what they were doing for the break. It seemed most students were going back home. Matilda was among them, though she was hardly as excited as her friends were to be returning to their families.

For Matilda, going home would mean another full moon without the Wolfsbane Potion – on New Year's night.

She didn't have much to look forward to.

Luckily, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of term. This cheered Matilda up quite a lot as it meant she would have time to buy presents for her friends and Cedric.

On the Saturday of the Hogsmeade trip, Matilda dressed warmly in a thick pair of jeans, two wool sweaters (at this, she remembered she was yet to return the jumper Fred had lent her), and her winter coat. She even wore matching gloves, a scarf and a beanie to tackle the cold.

She met with her Hufflepuff friends by the fountain, where they took off on the track to Hogsmeade.

"Blimey, I swear these bloody Dementors are bringing this ghastly weather with them," Stacey said, her Irish accent thick as she cursed the creatures.

Freya nodded, linking her arm through Stacey's, "I think you'd be right with that assumption. It's much colder than normal."

"I wish I wore another sweater," Matilda reflected, pulling the sleeves of her jumper over her hands. "I can't feel any part of my body."

Sammy laughed, "You're already wearing two! You're like a sweater monster."

"Scariest creature on earth," Stacey giggled.

"Shakes even Dementors to their bones," Freya added.

Matilda held up a finger, "Do Dementors have bones?"

"They've got to. Otherwise, they'd just flop over," Freya answered. "At least, that's what I think."

"Fair."