Chapter 2

"Matilda? Til! Wake up, you bloody bitch!"

"I don't believe shouting at her will help too much," said an unfamiliar voice.

Matilda opened her eyes, "Yeah, Sammy. Where's your compassion at?"

Two arms wrapped tightly around her, rather awkwardly considering she was lying on the floor, but she slowly returned the hug. Freya and Stacey were standing above the two, wanting to make sure Matilda was okay.

"Don't scare me like that! This stress is not good for my heart!" Sammy said, pulling back and placing her hands on the sides of Matilda's face. She looked as though she was searching for something so Matilda scowled which made Sammy grin, "Oh thank goodness! You're still you!"

Matilda flicked Sammy's hands away but used her friend to sit upright, taking a moment as the world began spinning again, "Jesus..."

She rubbed her eyes and looked at the person who stood in the frame of the door. He was tall and thin, his clothes were tattered and shabby, and his face was grey and tired. Something about him felt familiar to her...

"Have some chocolate," he said, handing her a whole bar of it. "You'll feel better."

Matilda cautiously took it from him, unsure of whether or not she should trust him. "Sorry – who are you?"

The man smiled kindly, "Professor Lupin." He noticed she hadn't unwrapped the chocolate. "Please eat, it'll make the Dementor's affect less severe."

"Oh," Matilda opened the bar and took a bite. He was right. She instantly felt better – but chocolate always had that impact on her. She smiled at him, "Thank you, Professor Lupin."

He nodded, "I've got to go speak to the driver if you'll excuse me..."

Once he was gone, Matilda remained on the floor and rested her head against the seats. She could feel the thumps of the train along the tracks.

"That was terrifying," Stacey said, a wobble in her voice. "Are you positively okay, Matilda?"

"Nope," Matilda answered, closing her eyes. "Why aren't any of you guys affected like me?"

She wondered if it was because of her condition and her heart rate quickened. They couldn't know.

"Dunno..." Sammy said. "Professor Lupin came in, though, and he cast some spell. It made the Dementor go away."

"Expecto Patronum," Freya repeated. "The Patronus charm."

They didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get out; owls hooted, cats miaowed, and toads croaked loudly. It was freezing on the tiny platform; rain was driving down in icy sheets.

Matilda, Freya, Sammy, and Stacey all hurried over to one of the coached and climbed in. The invisible horses began pulling them towards the castle swaying and rocking in motion.

As the carriage trundled to wards a pair of magnificent wrought-iron gates, flanked with stone columns topped with winged boars, Matilda saw two more towering, hooded Dementors, standing guard on either side. A wave of cold sickness threatened to engulf her again; she leaned back into the lumpy seat and closed her eyes until they had passed through the gates.

At last, the carriage swayed to a halt, and the four of them got out. They made their way up the path to the Entrance hall, and that was where Matilda heard her name being called out.

"Miss Diggory! I need to see you!"

Matilda looked in the direction and saw Professor McGonagall and Professor Lupin standing next to each other. She turned to her friends, telling them she'll see them later and made her way over.