Chapter 4: The British Doll

TW: Sex Scene Ahead|Skip chapter if you do not want to read any smutt.

Halloween Night—

Being a single mom was frustrating enough as it was, but being a single mom with a child on the spectrum, was slightly even more frustrating.

But I couldn't let that show, could I?

I stand a few paces behind Matthew as he stood with his doll Maxwell on the porch, both dressed in their  pirate costumes we had picked out earlier this week.

They were giving out candies to the kids passing by our home trick-or-treating.

I longed to be able to take Matthew trick-or-treating one day, but I could only hope I'd get that opportunity.

It would never get any easier knowing that my five year old son struggled to speak, or just preferred to be silent.

I sigh exhaustedly before looking at the watch on my wrist, it was 9pm. One more hour and then it would be time to call in the halloween calvary.

With the possibility of a serial killer on the loose, I didn't want to run any risks, even though the streets were pretty crowded with children and their gardians, who went around participating in the festivities.

I walk over to Matthew and tap him on the shoulder. "Hey buddy, do you need more candy?" I ask softly as I ruffle his fluffy hair. Matthew smiles then frowns, pushing my hand from his head and I giggle at the look of displeasure on his face.

He points over to Maxwell, the life size doll he got as a halloween gift from his speech therapist Sharon, and I notice the half empty basket he held.

"Okay, I'll get you and Max just a few more candies, and then in an hour, you need to wrap it up. Okay?" I mutter to my son conversationally, and his face drops.

My chest warms at this and I soften a little.

"Okay fine, one more hour, and then we can watch your favorite cartoon, drink some warm cocoa, and then you're going to your bed." I mutter, bargaining with him. His face lights up at this and he runs up to hug me. I chuckle at this, and then he pulls away from me to point at Maxwell.

I frown at him, trying to figure out why he was pointing at the doll. I look up at it, before glancing down at my son who was still pointing to the doll enthusiastically.

"Uh, Maxwell can join us?" I mutter, in an uncertain tone, and Matthew claps happily. I breathe a sigh of relief and smile as he runs back to the front of the porch to stand beside his inanimate companion.

I smile and shake my head before making my way inside to get him more candy, marveling over the fact that even though my son didn't verbally communicate with me like I wished he would, we still managed to communicate nonetheless.

I gather the treats and make my way back to the porch as a group of kids walk away smiling. I go infront of Maxwell to refill his basket, and shiver as I look into the dolls striking, almost unreal, icy blue eyes. He had fluffy, ginger red hair, a long scar running down his left eye to the top of his lip. Additionally, it was sporting a new scar over its eyebrow I was certain it obtained two days ago while out at the park with Charlotte, the kids and I.

Over the past two weeks I had gotten used to having the doll in my space, but the way it's eyes would follow me, or it would pop up where I was least expected it to pop up, gave me constant scares.

When I asked Sharon why gift Matthew a creepy looking, child-like, life sized doll, she explained that it was more in the hope that the doll would prompt Matthew to speak to it, kind of like how little girls spoke to, or for their barbie dolls when role playing.