Chapter 3: Old Friends And Serial Killers

Mulai dari awal

"How long is a while?" Charlotte asks curiously as she turns her entire body to me, worry setting in her gaze.

"A while." I mutter pointedly, silently asking her not to push it. Charlotte being Charlotte however, couldn't take the hint.

"My God, are you celibate?" She asks, gasping for dramatic effect with her hand flying to her chest.

"What? No I'm not celibate!" I exclaim sardonically looking over at the teasing expression twinkling in my friend's gaze, and I chuckle at her before shoving at her shoulders playfully.

"Could've fool me." She mutters before draining the rest of her Espresso and throwing it in the trash bin nearby.

"Please, let's change the topic from my non-existent sex life." I beckon pleadingly, and she hums before nodding.

"Okay, okay fine. Mother Mary." She mutters before chuckling and I roll my eyes in exasperation before draining the rest of my drink as well and throwing it in the bin.

"So, what's the story with the creepy doll?" Charlotte asks, gazing over at the kids, and I look up to find all three playing with doll.

"Oh, Maxwell? He was a gift from Sharon, she believes it should help Matthew with his speech." I mutter deadpan as I watch the kids playing, and laughing joyfully.

"Oh? And, is it working?" Charlotte asks, and I shrug before clicking my tongue.

"Well, Matthew says the doll's name every now and again, and he's a lot more vocal these days." I mutter softly keeping my gaze focused on our children.

"Oh?" She mutters in surprise beside me. I hum and nod my head, warmth moving inside my chest at the memory.

"Yeah, I heard him laugh the other day in Walmart, and when I tell you I melted." I mutter softly, a smile breaking out on my lips.

"Wow, I can only imagine how proud you must've felt." Charlotte mutters softly with a soft smile of her own.

"You have no idea." I mutter quietly, agreeing to her words.

We sit in silence for a few seconds before Charlotte finally breaks it.

"Hmmm, that doll though." She mutters in an unusual voice that catches my attention, and I turn to look at her.

"What about it?" I ask curiously, and she looks over at me with a meek expression and a smile on her face.

"Don't judge me okay, but it's fucking sexy." She mutters, and I choke on my own spit.

"A doll!? Charlotte!" I whisper yell in perplexity as I look over at my friend with a wide eyed stare.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, it's just - I've gotten into monster romance audiobooks recently and I'm so messed up from how much time I've spent listening to them." She mutters in embarrassment as she reaches up to cover her face.

I exhale a shocked breath I didn't realize I was holding before turning to gaze over at the doll clutch in Matthew's hands.

"Understandable, but Maxwell?" I ask perplexed.

"Smash." Charlotte lifts her head and mutters dryly and I gasp in shock.

"Charlotte!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

——

It was getting late into the evening and Charlotte and her kids had stopped by the house to have supper, and carve out pumpkins for Halloween which was in two days.