"The hell are you yelling about back there?" Levi asked, seemingly unconcerned.

"The bug population is booming this year, I got bit by a raging bloodsucker."

"You mean a mosquito?"

"No a fucking vampire" I retorted

I couldn't be sure, but it sounded like he let out a light chuckle. I resumed attention to my bug bite.

We reached a river soon after, complete with a small cascading waterfall. Levi dismounted and walked in it's direction. I waited for him to turn around and help me off, but he never did.

I wasn't incapable, I just had a hard time whenever horses were involved. My heart rate spiked as the realization hit. I was on a horse alone. He left me on his horse alone.

I inhaled deeply through my nose and let it out. I repeated this several times until my body calmed down. The last thing I wanted was to panic and get Alrick riled up.

I focused on Levi to keep me distracted. It worked all too well. He bent down, it looked like he was inspecting the earth near the river.

He made a scooping motion and stood up. He cupped something in his hankerchief and walked towards me.

"Forget somethi-" He grabbed my arm mid sentence and pulled it to him. His other hand covered my insect bite. He smoothed his hand over it and rubbed something in.

"Mud, to stop the itching" He said as he removed the hankerchief from my arm and threw it to the side.

I signed in relief as I felt the stinging itch dissipate. Suddenly I forgot why I was angry towards him.

"You could have told me that sooner" I scolded with furrowed brows.

He looked at his hands, inspecting them to ensure they weren't tarnished by the mud.

"I could have" he shrugged.

He mounted the horse again and this time he sat behind me, holding the reins through me. 

I felt his strong chest against my back, his breath ghosting the hairs on my neck. He pushed himself into me, and gave the reins a flick.

Alrick took a slow and steady pace, trailing the woods.

We rode for a while in silence. I eventually gave in and leaned my back on Levi, he only sighed in response.

I felt him snake one arm around my waist, gently, as if afraid I would break from the contact. He flexed his fingers down once his hand reached all the way around.

His fingertips were warm and comforting. I wanted to capture the feeling so I would be able to feel it forever.

We stopped by a crick to rehydrate. I cupped the water in my hands and brought it to my mouth, instantly satisfied by the refreshing taste of the water.

Levi did the same, I turned to look at him, a wide smile on my face.

He just looked at me, no reaction or return of my smile. He seemed to be staring at something behind me. His eyes widened for a split second before he leaped forward and threw my body into the crick.

"RUN" He shouted, putting his own body between me and whatever was endangering us.

I gained my bearings and turned to face the threat. I had to hold in my laughter at the sight of this "threat"

It has a scaled body, thin and leg less. The small snake curiously flicked its tongue in our direction.

I wiped the water from my face, now entirely soaked.